Complete France Forum

Dialects

richard51

Interesting that you mention dialects richard51. I was just thinking the other day that that was one thing that I could never tell when I heard brits speaking french, where they were from in the UK. And yet in english, for the most part I could, apart from those I know who have 'received pronunication'.

I have flat vowel sounds, and the rest is just clear. I cannot even think of other things we say here apart from the well known one of saying, 'pet'. Not an attractive accent, but there are worse!

Now here's a thing about dialect and accent. There always seems to be an assumption that one's accent or dialect confirms one's nationality in the UK. But I speak with a slight Yorkshire accent but am a son of the Shankill. People often say ''oh, but you're not really Irish, you don't have the accent''.

Well I'm sorry, but I was born there, grew up there 'til my teens and my parents, grandparents and great grandparents are all Irish. Yet even when I go ''back home'' I get accused of being English! How unfair is that?

We knew someone irish with a scottish accent, and certainly not an irish accent.

And the canadians, clueless, as I am english, from the NE and I speak french with an english accent. The english speakers thought I was irish and the french speakers thought I was french.

I cannot do broad accents. Maybe that is why I never lost my english accent when speaking french, as I am not a good mimic[:)]

Archived