Complete France Forum

Hadopi and gites

woolybanana

Over dinner last night with some chums who have gites, the conversation turned to the problem of wifi and of renters downloading films and stuff illegally.

Someone in this area apparently got done 1500euros because their wifi system had been used by a gite renter to download something. The gendarmes just turned up on the doorstep and demanded the money. (I am not sure of all the details of this but it sounds fishy to me.)

What is anyone's take on this please and how do you get round it, it you do?

I think this is not right because we did get a warning which I posted about last year or the year before (I can't remember now) and a breach was dealt with by a 'Graduated Response' where by you get a letter first moving forward in time to having your Internet connecton revoked to being taken to court and fined. I am sure somebody said at the time that the number of people in all of France who had their Internet access revoked for breaking Hadopi laws could be counted on two hands. In fact just Googling I found the following.:

"Since the law was approved in 2009 until its abrogation in 2013, only one user has been suspended (for 15 days) plus fined for EUR 600."

I can't find any information that refers to the Gendarmes just turning up and issuing a fine. Of course my research is only small so I am happy to be corrected but it sounds like either 'porkies' or somebody has posed as a Gendarme to extract money illegally. Also Hadopi was repealed on the 8th July 2013 anyway so if this happend after that date I would seriously question what has allegedly happened.

Archived