Complete France Forum

Who is going to win this one .Cameron or Barroso ?

Frederick

With Jose Manuel Barroso backed up by Vince Cable telling Cameron that "its Illegal " to cap the numbers of EU migrants registering for work in the UK

With the highest number from the EU ever 420.000 arriving in the year up to June to be given a N I Number .... because lets face it ...The stagnant EU does not seem to be able to employ them and they want out before the real rush starts if it all goes down the pan .

Who is going to win over this attempt to cut arrivals ? Apart from Farage of course

I am at the point where I do believe that pillorying politicians should be obligatory every few weeks. I mean all of them and the more stupid they have been during the previous weeks, would dictate as to how truly rotten the things thrown at them would be.

I am so sick and fed up of stupidity and wastefulness and stupidity etcetcetc!

Barroso, these EU dandies, how dare he! He is not elected, jobs for the boys(rarely girls) he has had an obscene amount of money paid to him, by us..........300K€ salary, 50k€ on accommodation and entertainment and on average about 270K€ in travel costs. The EU is so badly run and needs a real overhaul if it is going to be kept, especially where the budget concerns, not only the elected members, but these non elected bureaucrats too.

Freedom of movement, well only if people can support themselves, I would be in favour of it and not in any other circumstances. So that could cap it quite easily.

In answer to the question "who is going to win" it will of course be the EU. Free movement of labour is at the core of the EU so it will never change.

You also can't have one rule for one member state and another for the rest. You also can't have a PM who says "I want this and that and if I don't get it I am out" because the most obvious choice then is to say "there’s the door". One thing that does annoy me is the gross stupidity of most of the Kippers. They seem to be living under the misguided idea that the UK is a massive powerful country and rules the world where in reality as president of a very large non EU country said recently about the UK "It is a small island that nobody cares about and nobody listens to".

Quillan wrote :"It is a small island that nobody cares about and nobody listens to".

There seems to be a hell of a lot of people within the EU who care enough about the small island to want to leave where they are to go and live there .They must be expecting the island to give them and their children a better future......And until things change for them at home so they don't have to move ...the UK has its problem ,

It is a quote, I didn't come up with it on my own. [;-)]

You're right there is a lot going to the UK to find work and work there is for them as well. One often common mistake that is made when unemployment is talked about is the assumption that because say you have million unemployed that means there is not enough jobs for a million people were in fact if you look at the recruitment websites there are loads of jobs covering many different sectors of employment. Remember the Tory MP who said about finding work to 'get on your bike' well a poor use of words but the basics are however correct. There are basically jobs going in one geographic area whilst in another there is no work. Because of the reluctance of people to move for many reasons some of which are quite understandable and others not these jobs are taken by immigrants. EU immigrants are easier to employ because they don't require work permits (whereas non EU immigrants do) plus they have a different work ethic to many Brits.

Where the problem comes is where people go to an area where there is no work and they have no money expecting their new 'state' to look after them i.e. health and social assistance. Now if Tony Blair had accepted EU legislation into UK legislation about 'inactives' rather than come up with the excuse that it is a fundamental human right to offer help to these people I doubt Ukip in its current form would exist and we would not be having this conversation. If you cast your mind back that was the big issue with Brits living in France who were retired and it looked like they were going to lose their health cover because they fell into the 'inactive' group. 19 other member states all put this EU legislation into their own.

You might find the following report (in French, can't find the English version) about migration within the EU interesting.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics/fr

As far as the UK is concerned the number of Irish (as in republic) is by far the biggest group of migrants going to the UK looking for work which I have to say I find interesting and didn't know.

Le pays qui a accueilli le plus grand nombre d’immigrants en 2010 est le Royaume-Uni (591 000), suivi par l’Espagne (465 200), l’Italie (458 900) et l’Allemagne (404 100); ces quatre pays totalisaient ensemble 61,9 % des immigrants entrés dans les États membres de l’UE.

Nothing to improve things for EU mainland citizens since 2010 then... UK still top of the list four years later it seems

But the point is people are not just migrating to the UK they are moving all over the place. If they introduced the EU legislation the number to the UK would drop by quite a bit. One also need to ask why are they going to Spain as we are told Spain is an employment desert and they don't offer social and health care like the UK. Which introduces the next point that if France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc won't give 'inactives' health and social care then surely the UK cannot be penalised for adopting EU legislation and doing the same. Which ever way you want to dress it the problem goes back to Tony Blair and not the EU.

I would question the word 'abuse' in any of these arguments. It is a word that is abused to be honest. In fact it is as impersonal as statistics. 

Say a GP can only realistically see 60 patients a day, and yet, there are now 70 patients to see, but there are not enough hours in the day to see the 70 so 10 have to wait, and if the following day there'll be 80 to see ofcourse and then 90 and so it goes on.

The system, including planning and training to cover the population has been skewed, because there are more people to deal with, than the system was ever designed for and there are no instant fixes for services for a population that is over and above that which had perfectly good planning for in the first place.

Same same with schools, buildings do not spring up by magic, nor are the teachers 'instantly' there either.

A new population, especially with special needs, ie lacking in language puts immense strain on all services and maybe immigrants are paying their taxes etc, but they did not invest in the initial infrastructure and yet they will expect the same service 'now' that everyone else is getting, but in fact even more so as if their children require extra lessons for english.

Same with housing too....... same with jobs.

I could equally put this into a french text too.

The EU are very very smug, and that is not a myth. I have read their myths and facts section recently and it felt like I was now under the authority of some new empire. They even imply that the money they have they raise themselves, well, whoever 'they' are means that we are not getting the income in our own countries that 'they' get. We do not keep all revenue from the VAT raised they get their 'cut'. And we have to give them part of the GNI is it? And they have the sugar tax?  

Apparently there is no fraud, just mistakes, only a tiny percentage, apparently, but in fact, huge huge amounts of money, and that is negligence if it is not fraud. I know what a mistake is, a mistake is forgetting to put the on button on on the kettle, or more seriously forgetting to set my alarm clock.

All very cunning really and I do not trust them, the EU one little bit and the more I read the less I want to do with most of it.

The British Isles maybe just little lumps of rock off the coast of Europe, but do you know, for somewhere which some would have us believe is now so 'nulle', historically lots of folks have wanted these isles. And strangely lots of people still want to live here, including many french young people.

Sure, not everyone who arrives in the UK can afford to do this, but a surprisingly hight number of my ESOL students, when I asked, had never sseen a UK GP. Not because they're all hale and hearty, but because when they felt the need to get medical treatment beyond the absolute baasics, they would go home and see someone in their own country.

I guess one of the reasons for that is that we live in the only EU country where ALL the GPs are English-speaking. Not necessarily an advantage for some. And, as I've said many, many times on here...if that's your main criterion for the choice of a GP in France, then you really, really, really don't know how lucky you are to have the luxury of finding someone. Finding a doctor that's fluent in any one of the EU languages over here in blighty is, I suspect, nigh on impossible.

Archived