Complete France Forum

squealy brakes

mint

Here's the background:

We had 2 front tyres changed and they did the tracking at the same time.

Then they said that we should have new brake pads.

So, we booked a rdv and the brake pads have now been replaced as recommended.

The brakes now squeal when applied and I am just wondering if it's a temporary squeal and that all will be quiet again in time.

Then OH said but I have never had brakes that squeal and could you ask on your forum?

So, here I am.............asking!

Anyone has any answer, please [:)]

Generally it doesn't go away on it's own so it's a trip back to complain.

Many pads nowadays come with a coating on the back to prevent squealing and it's possibly they fitted cheapo pads without it.

A light smear of copper grease on the back is good practice whatever.

Even more effective on stopping squeal is a good coating of high melting point grease on the actual brake discs. The only downside is the brakes are fairly ineffective.

As others have said copper grease on the back of the pads plus any shims that should be there. There can also be a piece of metal bent in to a sort of 'W' that bears on the pads and is retained by the pad retaining pins.

You could always give it a wipe down with a sweet-smelling liquid ester, C 7 H 14 O 2, a mixture of isomers derived from amyl alcohol and having the characteristic odor of bananas: used chiefly as a paint solvent and in artificial fruit flavors; amyl acetate.

Commonly known as banana oil. You get it by getting a banana, preferably a wolly one and wringing it out as hard as you can till it sqeels very loud.

But a trip back to the garage to tell them you aren't happy with the noise would probably be the best option..

Errrr?? Paint solvent AND used in artificial fruit flavours? JC and his 12 mates [:-))][:-))]

[quote user="PaulT"]Even more effective on stopping squeal is a good coating of high melting point grease on the actual brake discs. The only downside is the brakes are fairly ineffective.

As others have said copper grease on the back of the pads plus any shims that should be there. There can also be a piece of metal bent in to a sort of 'W' that bears on the pads and is retained by the pad retaining pins.[/quote]

[:D]

Kind of reminds me of the Maestro, Ettore Bugatti; when a customer brought his new Bug bck to the factory and complained bitterly about the fact its brakes didn't work very well (None of them did!), Bugatti retorted: "Brakes? Brakes? What do need these for? They slow a car up!"

[;-)]

in my experience squealy brakes are usually the result of the spring clip that holds the pads in position not being fitted correctly. I would suggest that you mention the  squealing to the garage that fitted them and hopefully they will rectify the problem. Brakes shouldn't squeal.

Well, took the car back and the man got in it and drove it round the block.

He said it was whistling (siffler) but that it would stop after a  while.

The boss man also came out to reassure us.  I made a big point of asking if it was dangerous, if the spring clips were properly fixed, if they put any  sort of lubricant on it (didn't know the French for copper grease).

Anyway, they said it will not persist so we will wait and see.

I need to go back anyway about that speed sensor in the other car that you helped me with on my other "car" thread.

Can also get this problem if the seats for the pads in the carrier have not been cleaned out properly. Dust, muck and rust can accumulate there and mechanics don't always spend enough time with the wire brush. There can also be slight imperfections in the metal of the pad backing itself - I had to file a small bump off a Ferodo pad a couple of years back as the squeal was driving me crazy and wasn't going to go away by itself after a few days.

Thank you for the further explanations, PaulT and AZ.

I guess Saturday afternoon wasn't the best time to go and complain because some of the mechanics had already gone home.  If, after a few more days, the noise doesn't stop, I will have to go back and insist that they re-do the plaquettes.

Thanks again[:)]

Archived