Complete France Forum

special relationship? what special relationship?

mint

No, this is not about cards or flowers or chocolates, much less about your own personal special relationships.  This is a fascinating article, quoting many historical references, about how the US and the UK have built up or knocked down their supposed special relationship over the years.

One word of warning, do NOT start reading it until you have the time to read critically and with attention.  But, for those who do wish to unravel the phrase so often bandied by our political leaders in the UK, and get at the facts, it is a rewarding read.

[url]https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/14/will-trump-presidency-finally-kill-myth-of-special-relationship[/url]

Well, yours was the opinion I had in mind when I posted. 

For me, the article is revealing of much that I'd wondered about before.  And now, in the light of the "special relationship" between May and Trump, I am watching developments!

Sorry about that Mint.

I thought that I had sent a link to a one hour programme called Scotland and the Klan by Neil Oliver.

May be you could Google it ?

It does suggest that there is/has been a special relationship, bot not necessarily as we think of it today.

I haven't read the article, Mint, but have wondered too about what this "special relationship " is.

Yes we both speak english, but otherwise the differences are much more than the similarities, so why should we feel closer to them than to other nations?

"Yes we both speak english, but otherwise the differences are much more

than the similarities, so why should we feel closer to them than to

other nations?"

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

The fact that English people tend not to speak many other European languages has left them blind to the things we have in common, and open to the immense cultural Imperialism of the USA.

I notice the influence this has since I have not lived in the UK for over 20 years so have been rather insulated from it.

I must admit that I hadn't thought of this aspect, Patf and Norman.  Partly because, when I had visited the States (well New York anyway) I had difficulty understanding what people were saying!  They didn't sound like they were speaking English[:-))]

I do know someone from Alabama but, once I got used to her "quaint" way of saying things, I can understand her OK but OH has difficulty!

Pat, if you read the article, you'd find out that the "special relationship" is actually not that special[;-)]

Edit:  if Hollywood had made all their films in Spanish, I suppose we'd all be Spanish speakers[:D]

Pat, just copy and paste!  And it really IS full of interest[:D]

Forgive me if you do all this already.  You just highlight the link using right click, go to Edit on the toolbar, select "copy" then go to your search bar, delete what's already there (services.forum blah, blah, blah) then back to Edit and select "paste".

Excuse me if this is teaching grandmother to suck eggs but I am not sure what you normally do so I have to explain as though you know nowt..........apologies[:)]

I do know how to copy and paste - never thought of that here!

And it all goes back to Churchill, the old schmoozer. He knew we would be lost without the help of USA, we were down to rock bottom, no more reserves.

But I've never understood completely the link between the Japs and Pearl Harbour, and the Axis in Europe. And even more, why the USA supported the allies in WW1.

The Lusitania's sinking...... wasn't that the deciding thing?

The axis powers, mutual views on the world and willingness to help one another???? I always believed that both Japan and Germany wanted the USA.

And if that lot had not happened, then the USA had been prepared to invade Canada in the 1930's, rum old world innit!

[quote user="Patf"]

But I've never understood completely the link between the Japs and Pearl Harbour, and the Axis in Europe. And even more, why the USA supported the allies in WW1.

[/quote]

Me neither, Pat, don't understand why USA supported the allies in WWI.

Norman, if you in your wisdom, do know these things, please EXPLAIN![:D]

Archived