Complete France Forum

This could be a test of your creativity in the kitchen

mint

A bit of background:  I have been immersing myself in books, tv progs, etc relating to the time around the first world war but I suppose some of the information I gathered can equally be about the second world war too or indeed a third should, heaven forbid, such a dreadful thing were to take place.

I heard a Polish lady talking about the times of poverty and food shortages.  She said that if she had oil, flour and salt, she could produce a meal for her family.

That got me to thinking that it might be interesting and challenging if I were to set a "bilan" for posters that, besides her 3 staples, we had 3 other items to add and we come up with the fewest number of ingredients we need to feed our family for at least the short term.  Anyone up for this exercise in ingenuity and frugality?[:D]

To start us off, I will give my 3 additional ingredients:  rice, eggs and fresh herbs.  I was going to say butter but, for the moment, I thought we'd concentrate on what might be readily and CHEAPLY available under extreme conditions.

Eggs was the first one I thought of. During WW2 you could get powdered eggs, but I think they were rationed, like most food.
We were lucky - one of my aunts was married to a farmer and he gave us eggs. Mum preserved them in isinglass, and used them sparingly.

I'll have to think about the others. Probably sugar?

Archived