Complete France Forum

I think I must have imagined..

idun

I think I must have imagined a hot summer, as I bought Spanish grapes today and at this time of year after a hot summer they are usually succulent and sweet.

It's vendange time, should be lots of delicious grapes, are french grapes lovely this year?

One of our vines fruited very well, again eating grapes, with pips, tasty and mcuh sweeter this year, but skins are tough. Been giving away what I cannot eat, and still feel overwhelmed.  I think the rain came at the right time this year, Idun, then we had the sun and heat with the odd cooler period ... but never cold.  Odd year, really.

I was visiting friends in Champagne Ardennes last month, the vendanges had started a fortnight earlier than usual and there was great excitement about both the quality and the quantity. I think they were talking about +25% in quantity? I often go there around this time of year and I've never seen this level of excitement before. The vignerons were going round with photos of their grapes on their phones, proudly showing them to anyone with the time to look. My friends gave me grape juice straight from the press and it was absolutely beautiful.

Good to hear about the successful grape harvest.
Re having your own vine - we had 2 kinds of green grapes, one was seedless. I looked up their names and found that only a small range of vines can be sold to individuals. Most are protected and only for commercial buyers.

Patf, we are, of course, in a wine growing region, and the area where we are was once a market garden (we know that from our French friends 50m away as her grandfather was the market gardener!).  The vines were in when we arrived, and one is certainly quite old ... but if I could get a seedless grape I would be over the moon ....

https://www.lesjardinsdejosephine.com/contents/fr/d17_SULTAN-BLANC-SP.html

http://www.richter.fr/fr/plants-de-vigne-table/greffes-soudes-raisin-table-blanc.html?id=94&phpMyAdmin=13b47b7e63334919037a04b76546ef98

There you go :-) I'll be doing cuttings of mine shortly if you want to have a go at growing ungrafted plants...

Well we moved a vine a few years ago, and one of our vigneron friends reckoned it might not fruit again .. did though and for the first year they were seedless.  Sadly, they have now reverted to type, though this year, strangely, along with another vine, they did not produce huge nos, whereas the other one did.  The year before that one didn't produce so much and if got soonest they were seedless ... I will never understand!

Noisette, I am not the gardener, enough other to do, leave that to OH.

Archived