Complete France Forum

Suddenly the day got better

woolybanana

I had been waiting anxiously for an important delivery which was date sensitive. Anxious, I phoned the company at lunchtime today to be told that the snow and storms in their part of France had wiped out their internet connection so that they could not fill and send orders or inform me of the problem.

Lo and behold, an hour later, Ding Dong, the delivery man arrives with the order. I just had to phone the company to ask them how they sent stuff in an hour. Much laughter and relief my end.

(All delivery men are called Ding Dong as they are almost the only ones who ring the doorbell).

Does that cheer you up Nimt?

I'm not un-cheered up at the moment, Wools[:)]

And that's despite the weather being crap and no going outside is possible unless you are one of our famous south-west French ducks.  It's rained and rained for weeks and weeks.  If you do get a break in the weather, it's only for part of a day or even a whole day but that would be followed by wall-to-wall rain for the foreseeable future.

So why am I feeling so chirpy, you may wonder.  Well, since my medical MOT last month, my own doc has followed the recommendations, put me on a blood pressure lowering tablet and a relaxant.  And lo and behold, at one fell swoop, my insomnia has been eliminated and my constant coughing wiped out!  So, you see, I can be forgiven for being a bit smug and irritatingly cheerful[:D][:D][:D]

Mint, so good to hear that ... happily we've had sun this week, but with a cold wind, but I do know what you mean about rain .. my celebratory birthday cruise last month (up the Rhône) was much rain affected and within reason spoilt what could have been lovely autumn days, but weren't.  Amazing how simple remedies can help little annoyances sometimes. 

Thank you, Judith, for your post très sympa[:)]

It is indescribably horrible what lack of sleep does to you.  I started not sleeping when my dog was ill and needed constant attention during the night (took both of us to gently lift her off her bed and took her outside for pipi).  Then the cancer and subsequent treatment.

I thought everything was behind me and that all would be well.  I think my poor body must have felt it had to be on 24 hour alert at all times.  So, it's been over 3 years since I could go to bed and be sure of a decent night's sleep.

For insomniacs out there, please don't put up with it.  And by all means, attempt all the so-called  tried and trusted remedies, the bed-going routine, the "relaxing" infusions, the melatonin pills from the pharmacy, the yoga, the meditation, the no electronic gadgets in the bedroom, the window blinds, the eye masks.  BUT, if still no joy, just ask for a little magic pill until you get back your essential sleep.  You'd get up in the morning counting your blessings instead of going to bed in the night counting sheep! 

What excellent news, Mint! ?

We’re back in the Gard for another 3 weeks for various events, including a big Christmas lunch party on 1st - seems so very early! We’re also having a lot of rain, but at least we have transport this time, as my husband is allowed to drive again following another heart problem 6 months ago.

My sleep isn’t great, mostly due to nerve damage from ops and although I take the appropriate tablets each night, sleep evades me quite a bit.

However, I’ve been prescribed a great assortment of drugs today for a painful back - if I could bear to jump up I’d rattle loudly!

Judith, sorry to read that your lovely birthday cruise was dampened.

Ugh...nasty thing, a bad back[:(] 

So husband can drive again, hooray!  Such a difference to life, having or not having wheels.  I am back driving too and gradually getting more confident.

But the rain, the rain is something else; it's a veritable torture staying indoors all day everyday.  PLUS, I have lost my best rain hat.  Wondering where I might have left it could put paid to sleep tonight......

ALBF, but I always thought that you were quite mad already?[:P]

More seriously, I hope you don't have the very nasty Lyme disease; insomnia is perhaps marginally easier to cure than Lyme's.

Good luck and happy daddyhood......remember, they do grow up.........er EVENTUALLY!

Thanks GG, it was more a nuisance, lovely autumn days gliding along would have been so relaxing. .. as for sleep, I still find it's the thoughts going round and round , or a tune stuck in the head ... and this last week, with a varicose vein op, and knowing I had to get up early ... I just never do sleep on those occasions.  Happily, on the whole, my sleep is not that bad, but there are nights when I toss and turn ... and that is definitely NOT pleasant, and you wake up thinking I have so much to do today and no energy ...

Mint you have been through the mill indeed, and still you post and are so cheerful .. such a blessing to have you on this forum, you make my day when you post!

• 2 months later...
It's a good idea to review your health and determine whether any underlying medical or sleep irregularities can lead to your sleep problems if you have trouble sleeping on an regular basis.

In some cases, it is possible to take simple steps to improve sleep (for example to avoid luminous light during winding up and limit possible distractions, such as a television, computer or pets).

I had used some sleeping stone from https://crystalopedia.com/crystals-for-sleep/" but It is important to talk to your doctor in other cases and figure out a course of action. In other cases You don't just accept poor sleep as a way of life — speak with your doctor or a sleeping expert for help.