Complete France Forum

Mint

woolybanana

Bonjour.....et me voilà![:)]

Hope you are all keeping well and virus free.  I managed to keep myself super busy for the first 3 weeks of le confinement but I must admit it is now getting extremely tedious.

It depresses me to look in my diary and note all the dates for various things that have been cancelled.  Plus, I have walked all of the periphery of our village practically everyday.  I can identify the barks of every single dog in the village, I swear.....grr....

Furthermore, we have had to cancel our proposed visit to Cauterets and it was something that I have been looking forward to for ages.  Still, one positive is that I learned a new French word when our leader and organiser wrote to say he had informed the proprietor of the gite but asked her to keep the arrches.  Strange word that, don't you agree?

Glad to see you back.

Yes, deposit is arrhes, and isn't it always good to learn a new word.

Mint, you should have simply given all those jobs 'much thought' and consideration and not done them. Snuggled down with a good book etc and had a feeling of being a little wicked by not doing them.

I like feeling a little naughty doing things other than what I should be.[Www]

So, is arrhes one of those words described in dictionaries as nfpl?  You know like toilettes (the loo and not having a wash) and retrouvailles?

Can anyone think of other words like these that are always in the plural?

Thank you, Norman.  Fascinating...... indeed I have used many of those words without realising; eg frais de livraison, etc.

I was also thinking of puits and poids but then, on reflection, I realise that they are singular nouns just that I was confusing the "s" ending with the English plural.......aaahhhhh (cry of despair!)