Complete France Forum

Somewhere to stay on le way.

Reims

I stayed at the Hotel du Nord a few years ago, fairly ordinary but clean and not expensive, very central and there's an underground car park where you can safely leave you car overnight. There's another one too that I have used a few doors along with a pretty courtyard garden but friends had problems with the madame in charge and a small dispute about a deposit. Both very central and walking distance of restaurants for dinner.

For once, I can be helpful. We stayed at the Hotel L'Arlequin in Troyes in Feb 05 on our way to visit family in Switzerland. Lovely old fasioned French 2* with timers on the landing lights. No restaurant (just a breakfast room - breakfast was fine too) but very central and plenty or places to eat around. The only drawback was an absence of hotel car park, but there was plenty of that nearby, so it wasn't a problem. They have a website: http://www.hotelarlequin.com/

[quote user="Just Katie "]

I will be travelling from the Alps to Calais at the end of March and am looking to stay overnight in either Reims or Troyes.  Our main priorities are central and clean.  Any ideas?

[/quote]

Hi Katie,

me & Mrs Dingle have stayed before at the etap hotels in various towns and they are very clean, cheap and virtually unbreakable (teenage proof) and there is one in Troyes

http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/fichehotel/gb/etp/2552/fiche_hotel.shtml

have a very nice trip.[:)]

best regards

Zak

JK .................

Le Val Foret at Magnant - 20kms SE of Troyes.  Used it a couple of times.  Accommodation is 'motel-ish', but none the worse for that.  Good restaurant.

Upside is that it's 60 secs from J22 on the A5, so easy to find and you're quickly back on the road again the following day + it's reasonable.

Downside: it might be a bit further from Calais than you'd want to be (say 3.5 - 4 hrs) + there's nothing else there at all other than fields!

OR

Au Vivier at St Omer.   Been there loads of times.  Nice rooms @ €55 or so, in a pedestrianised part of town.  Good restaurant again (better than above)

You're only 45 mins from Calais and you'd make it from the Alps comfortably in a day.   Plenty of bars in the town square (50m away) for the youngsters to have a drink and leave you alone (to have a drink somewhere else!!!) 

Both at www.logis-de-france.fr  

We usually stay at the Etap Hotel in Tinqueux (Reims). Perfectly fine for a few hours kip on our way up north. We have stayed in the Novotel at Tinqueux and Mister Bed, but I won't use Mr Bed again after our unforutnate incident.

In the beginning, we used the Forumule 1 when they very first opened, but I am glad the economy hotels changed a bit.

[quote user="Just Katie "]  I will be travelling from the Alps to Calais at the end of March and am looking to stay overnight in either Reims or Troyes.  Our main priorities are central and clean.  Any ideas? [/quote]

I have stayed at the Campanile in Dizy which is just outside of Epernay near Reims. Clean, affordable, teenagers proof, restaurant on site and some other quick food type outlets nearby. Big BUT (or was it Champion?...) supermarket next door and petrol pumps.

Bonus is that if you go into Epernay (i.e. not pressed for time AND you are not the driver) you can go and visit the champagne houses. I went to Moët et Chandon and toured their cellars and a little dégustation [:D] after... well.... my son did the dégustation that day as I was the driver [:(] and in MHO it was strawberries to pig!

Archived