Complete France Forum

Stealing at Breakfast ?

Hoddy

Staying in an hotel last week I noticed yet again that people were taking things from the breakfast bar and putting them into their bags as provisions for lunch. Since it now seems so widespread is it acceptable and not the stealing I think it is ?

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]Staying in an hotel last week I noticed yet again that people were taking things from the breakfast bar and putting them into their bags as provisions for lunch. [/quote]

When staying in a Hotel in St Malo for 2 nights at the end of 2010 I noticed the same thing so, being nosy, I asked if it bothered them. The reply from the resto manager was that they had raised the price of breakfast from 7€50 to 9€50 to take account of this behaviour.

Sue

We have had it once or twice over the years and I think it's a bloody cheek. My particular way of dealing with it on the third day (if they don't sense the bad vibes from the other guests) is normally to collect what is left and present them to those concerned saying "I didn't realise your so poor so please accept this gift and by the way I want payment in cash please.", usually does the trick. [;-)] Of course the problem is we can't add a bit on to the price of breakfast what with being a B&B as it is a legal requirement to include the cost of breakfast in the total room price.

Looked at from the guest's side of things some owners can be pretty mean.

We used to use the B & B hotel at Bayonne on regular trips to Spain. French streaky bacon always comes in small sizes. The woman who had the concession at this hotel used to cut them in half so that, piled up, there looked a lot. Needless to say I made a point, because the French don't bother with cooked bacon, to ensure I ate the lot.

On another occassion we were the only people taking breakfast and she had put out just two croissants in a small whicker basket. Mrs Benjamin took one of them but I didn't bother. A young French man then came in, unnoticed by Madame, and took the remaing croissant. I had a change of mind (after I'd scoffed all the bacon[+o(]) and went looking for a croissant. It was with a great deal of reluctance that she deigned to give me another, thinking that I had already had one.

Two sides to most coins.   [6]

[quote user="Quillan"]We have had it once or twice over the years.[/quote]

once or twice, hardly worth raising your blood pressure for then let alone raising the prices.

We were skiing down in chamonix and they got upset because I took two of the tiny boxes of breakfast cereal. At least the Italians know how to entertain on the other side of the mountain, plenty of food for the hungry skiers. 

Theft, well if they kept the breakfast bar open later, I'd happily have my breakfast sur place, when I am ready to break my fast. [:D]

I have just had some fruit and it is nearly early 11am in England. I don't keep the same hours as the most other people. I like to get up later than most and then most days I cannot eat for a couple of hours. So if we are in a B&B and I really cannot face food, I'll bag a couple of croissants for later, easier to carry than a buttered and jammed baguette.

Maybe b&b's should do a breakfast bag for people like me???[Www] I would like that.

I understand your point Benjamin and there are owners out there who come up with all sorts of ideas on how to save money on breakfast.

We offer a standard continental/French breakfast and we are always on hand to offer more bread etc if required, our guest bread bill alone is over 25 Euros per day for eight people. The only cooking we do is eggs, boiled scrambled or poached. We let the guests visit our chickens and choose their own eggs which strangely they really like and get a 'kick' out of doing. We always have a load of stuff left over from breakfast which is actually recycled for chickens and other animals plus ourselves. So to me it's like they enjoy the fresh eggs but don't want to 'pay' the chickens for them. I think the majority of B&B owners offer a very good and filling breakfast but there will always be one or two that are a bit tight.

[quote user="idun"]

Theft, well if they kept the breakfast bar open later, I'd happily have my breakfast sur place, when I am ready to break my fast. [:D]

I have just had some fruit and it is nearly early 11am in England. I don't keep the same hours as the most other people. I like to get up later than most and then most days I cannot eat for a couple of hours. So if we are in a B&B and I really cannot face food, I'll bag a couple of croissants for later, easier to carry than a buttered and jammed baguette.

Maybe b&b's should do a breakfast bag for people like me???[Www] I would like that.

[/quote]

We don't mind when you have your breakfast providing you tell us when and stick to it. The reason for this is because people like fresh food and coffee which we want to ensure is available the second they appear for breakfast. Nothing worse than well stewed coffee or tea.

At our favourite B&B in Vieuvy (near Gorron 53) the breakfasts are splendid affairs, frequently embellished with little cakes made by Madame.  Lots of homemade preserves etc. which we make a big effort to consume as our splendid hostess has gone to such trouble.

We're back there this coming weekend - I'll be needing trousers with an elasticated waistband......

Some of the typically French breakfasts provided by French owners can seem a bit mean when we have all got used to the buffet type breakfasts offered by the chain-type hotels, and (now) others, but since most French people I see in these type of hotels tend to stick to the standard breakfast of juice, coffee, bread and (occasionally) croissants, with an occasional cereal or yoghurt thrown in for good measure, I feel that if you are staying in French owned place you could assume you might only get the minimum.  But as long as there is more than one piece of bread (except croissants which seem to be 1 per person allowance), and you have more than one cup of coffee (or tea) available, I can't see that see that anyone should complain. 

On my way north in April, I stayed at a hotel which catered mainly for tourists (as far as I could see) but it seemed to be a standard breakfast (I saw the cereal and yoghurts later, but since I was pushed for time and on the way to the ferry, I kept to the plateful of breads I was served) and I was quite replete enough for a breakfast, and certainly enough to keep me going until lunch time!

That's not to say that I don't enjoy eating the alternatives if there is a buffet breakfast and I feel the need, and I might occasionally take a yoghurt or banana as a mid-morning snack if I am en route and not sure if I will be able to stop for lunch (or if for some reason I have not got with me my usual emergency supplies of long life tins of salad and fruit compotes in the car.

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of hotels rather than Chambres to be honest. What suein56 writes makes it seem that it isn't really stealing because the hotel owners expect and charge for it.

Hoddy

A couple of restaurants I frequent, happily give doggy bags if we cannot eat all our meal. So why not the same with breakfast? Truth is that I will be hungry later, so why should I be expected to have less than 'iron stomachs' who can get a proper breakfast down themselves, early in the day?

Still french breakfast hosts mean? Isn't the clue in the name...... it isn't a dejeuner, it is a 'petit' dejeuner and not grand dejeuner[Www].

So that's why French hotels charge through the nose for breakfast is it?

On my few hotel visits last year I was amazed to be charged between 15 and 20 euros for breakfast, when all I choose is coffee and bread and jam, or croissant.

Angela

There is one thing for sure, IF any hotel was going to charge me 15 or 20€ for breakfast, I'd not take it. I'd go to a bar or cafe and have my coffee and then eat later. Unbelievable that someone a few days ago on here mentioned a three course meal with wine? for 12€ and ofcourse that will include bread..... they always do.

[quote user="idun"]There is one thing for sure, IF any hotel was going to charge me 15 or 20€ for breakfast, I'd not take it. I'd go to a bar or cafe and have my coffee and then eat later. [/quote]

Not at 06:30 you wouldn't and going to work straight afterwards means the next opportunity to eat is lunchtime.

And yes my hotel does charge 20€ - at least the company carry the bulk of the cost.  Is it really worth it?  Well possibly yes if I availed myself of the champagne on offer, but that work word keeps coming back to remind me that I must not.

I just couldn't stomach anything at 6.30.... well if it was my bedtime I could and I had been up all night. I used to work nights and could always eat before going to bed. Getting up and I can rarely face food for quite some time.

I would have to have something with me for later if I was in your shoes andyh4.

Yes but what could you have?

Boulangerie - open (just) so bread.

Everything else is shut.

So you had to buy it yesterday, so anything fresh, now isn't.

Once upon a time I was a no breakfast person - now I am not.

Anyway back to the original topic:  I would never dream of taking anything from the buffet "for later" - even at 20€ a shot breakfast.

Archived