Complete France Forum

Deposit paid but devis not signed

loirebabe

We have been asked a question regarding a devis to which I dont know the answer can anyone help?

The people have got a devis for the instalation of a new septic tank.

They have paid a deposit BUT not signed the devis.

On reading the quote there is no actual price quoted for the septic tank (the people involved do read french) .

Can they now pull out and get there money back? What if any are the implications?

Phil 49

I believe the payment of a deposit is as good as signing a devis, so theoretically they have commissioned the work. I imagine there is a total cost listed on the devis, which would be how they worked out the deposit (I think this is normally 30%). Is the devis just for the installation or does the price given state the worker will also provide the tank, but they have just omitted to itemise the devis? A friend was recently given a devis for an extension to his house - this gave an overall price only, not itemising anything at all so maybe this is common practice.

Good luck, Jane

You can find the legal procedures for devis estimates on the Public Service [url=http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/vosquestions/F11011.xhtml]WEBSITE[/url]

If the project is going to cost more than 150 euros, then the tradesman must provide a devis detailing each individual component price and labour charge.  The devis must be signed by the client as accepted.  The payment of a deposit does not form part of this acceptance process.

The devis/acceptance is not obligatory in the event of emergency works, eg burst water pipe.

[quote user="loirebabe"]

We have been asked a question regarding a devis to which I dont know the answer can anyone help?

The people have got a devis for the instalation of a new septic tank.

They have paid a deposit BUT not signed the devis.

On reading the quote there is no actual price quoted for the septic tank (the people involved do read french) .

Can they now pull out and get there money back? What if any are the implications?

Phil 49

[/quote]

Why do they wan't to pull out?

Archived