Complete France Forum

Roosters crowing, cows stinking, rabbits muttering, live with it!

Following a spate of moaners and complainers who find the noises, odours et al in the French countryside objectionable, there is now a bill before parliament which would protect the patrimoine sensoriel des campagnes.

Seems a bit extreme, but there you are, even as they lose their livelihoods for other reasons, cocks can crow, geese cackle, cattle low, Norman croak, Slurry can pooh the pestilence and even tractors stink the place out as it is all part of the sensory tradition of the French countryside.

Does this include rabbits squeaking as they are slaughtered, pigs screaming as the slaughterman tries to hold them and stick the knife in at the same time ( examples taken from real life)? This may even include spreading glysophate right next door to bio farms and your garden!

The problem is that every change that is proposed for, for example, the environment, is seen as a challenge to their way of life. Just look at the way they still wanna trap protected species of birds.

Unless more subsidies are proposed, in which case they are in there like ferrets after rabbits.

Slightly confused as the laws pertaining to protecting species will not be altered, surely they won't....... and then the gendarmes and garde champetre should do their duty.

Do they need more money, with a very few exceptions our local gendarmerie were usually disinterested in local crimes, and the garde champetre, well...... even worse, but never the less they are paid to do their jobs.

I know people who have moved nulle part and then whinged and whinged about farm animals making too much noise, my thought is always, 'idiots', really what did they expect.

I recently watched a very good film called "Bait" about a similar problem in Cornwall, where the incomers arrive and clash with the local fisherman whose Cottage they have bought up.
It may seem irrelevant but in fact the issues of monied  South East England

hooray Henry's (whom I saw start to  destroy the community in the Devon fishing village I lived in) have a close parallel to the Ryanair brigade of British 'expats' (SPIT) imposing their boozy lazy lifestyle on working people in  rural France.

One of the (English) lessons I taught last year concerned an article writtenabout the film 'the beach' based in Thailand .. where the 'tourist' interest in the location of the film caused such degradation of the natural flora i.e. the almost complete destruction of the coral beds there .. and the degradation of the beach caused by thousands of tourists arriving daily by boat causing glee among the Thai boat taxis but mayhem otherwise.

Said beach was closed initially for 6 months .. which was extended as it took the coral longer to recover than first thought.

Mass tourism .. for whatever reason .. causes dissension, debate and disgust wherever it occurs.

The Glyphosate comment rang a bell for me. The local farmer is licenced to use glyphosate or whatever. So he comes on our rue to kill the weeds in the cimitiere. He comes on his tractor belching black smoke, leaves the engine running at the same time dripping oil all over the road. His dog craps anywhere, but everyone thinks he does a good job! (The farmer not the dog).