Complete France Forum

La Poste

During the current CV business, our local post office is closed.

I knew that I’d have to go in to the local ‘big’ town sooner or later in order to send off a package of documents ‘accuse de reception’. I wasn’t looking forward to it, expecting a massive queue outside the place and it all taking ages.

I went today and how wrong can you be? Just one bloke in front of me and he went in straightaway. I was asked by a staff member at the door what sort of transaction it was and whether I’d be paying by card. I was invited in immediately and directed to one of several self-service machines.

Weighing scales on top and a step-by-step exercise to deliver a sticky label. It took me twice the time that it would someone familiar with the process, but the screen was really good, with dropdowns for both the sender and addressee details. Post your package in to the adjacent box - I received email confirmation of ‘prise en charge’ two hours later.

Forgive me - none of this may be news to most of you, but I was really impressed with the way it all worked.

The lack of a queue is probably to do  with the confinement and the fact that it is the end of the month so no-one is there to withdraw their allocs.

On the other hand I have had useful help in doing something similar in my local PO when I was in the Ariège.