Complete France Forum

A question

Wendy

Can anyone tell me if there is a facility in this country for lodging a (major) complaint about/against an accountancy firm here?.

Honestly, if they were doctors they would be struck off!.

They are French as well, so, whats the score?.

Hi obviously your complaint is of serious proportions.  These guys are responsible to professional bodies as in the UK and equally I believe that they have internal procedures to address complaints.

We use an Accountant here in (50) and who is a member of the Cour d'Appel at Caen and very well connected I am more than happy to effect an introduction via pm to you with telephone numbers etc and he speaks fluent Englsih  but the common sense approach is for your existing practice to talk you to sensibly about the problem that exists.

Sometimes professional bodies tend to look after themselves!  so you might have a problem in convincing someone that something is wrong.  I will do some digging around and see what I can find.

Fortunately I have not found myself having to become involved in the French Civil Code but I think that there are those on this forum who would indicate that it is long laborious costly and time consuming.

However if you have suffered a financial loss then you perhaps need to see an Avocat.  Again I would suggest caution for these guys are not cheap.

And be careful when choosing an attorney.  Get as many references as possible and speak with them.  We have had bad experiences with two attorneys here in France.  Both came with recommendations.  Both made absolutely amazing mistakes - and they could not deny them either.

Hi

We have had a bad experience with a french accountant .  Our moan is around very late and incorrect submission of accounts, despite our seeking advice in Feb accounts weren't submitted until September (and only then when I called and said why am I being chased for a return) which led us to having to pay more to some bodies due to them making assumptions about our earnings.  He then chraged us twice the amount for doing the work that he charged the year before even though the year before he set up our business for us as well as the return, all very bizarre. 

I have simply repeated my request for him to justify the increase partucularly in light of the poor service.  I have not paid him and have told him that when he does get around to answering my letters (now 4 without reply) I will review his reasons for the increase and if I am not happy I will seek an audience with L'ordre des Experts Comptables.   I have spoken to other brits in the area and he works for a number of them (he speaks fluent english), all of whom have had late returns, I have told him I will seek support from these other 'clients' in support of my complaint to L'ordre if necessary.

Not holding my breath for a reponse though.. seems they think issues will go away if they don't respond.

Archived