Complete France Forum

Napoleon

He is still a controversial subject even 200 years after his death; was he the saviour of France who brought strength and glory to La Nation but ( to be trendy) or an evil megalomaniac who destroyed the French Revolution and reestablished slavery in the French West Indies?

Obviously the Left hate him and the Right are in awe as seemed to be Mr. Macron when he went to see the marble toilet that is his tomb in Parees!

If you put aside what people think he was and replace it with what he was a different picture does emerge. In terms of military expertise he was a genius and far ahead of his time. It took the combined armies of Europe , plus a nasty bout of cold weather in Russia to beat him. The civil code today still bears the hallmarks of his lawmaking, debatable though some aspects of it are!

Having said all that I suppose it fair to say that ultimately he was a loser!! That the French 'celebrate' him is probably because he is (was) the nearest thing to success in war the French have ever had, not winning any war of their own that they entered or fought!!!!

I disagree entirely about the sarcophagus and its setting. In my view it is magnificent but, each to his own!

Macron said that 'Nepoleon' is a part of all of us. Or something like that.

This is the man 'Macron' who has a European dream.

I'm strugggling to work out how 'Nepoleon' is a part of me or anyone else that is not 100 % French. If there is such a thing of being 100 % French. Which of course there is not.

Make your mind up Mr Macron.