Complete France Forum

Sacking French estate agent, is it possible?

My pal is having sevarl of them done as and when his properties become vacant and he seeks a new locataire.

No measurements are done and nothing is verified unless it is visible, I quote a conversation he recounted to me.

Inspector - "what insulation do you have above that ceiling?"

My pal - "20 cms of laine de verre with pare vapeur"

"Thats a shame it should really be 24 cms"

"Oh I remember now it was indeed 24 cms"

"Et ben c'est parfait!"

And it carried on in that vein, now my pal knows all the best values to have he just sits down with the guy and tells him what he wants to hear, "yes that clime is a DC invertor type energy rating A, yes that frigo is energy rating A" etc etc.

Its quite a tempting metier to do especially as all the ginks doing it in the area at the moment have no appreciation of supply and demand and would rather lose all the jobs they quote for than accept anything less than €200 for 45 minutes work.

It looked that we might be putting our UK house on the msrket. Had a few agents round to give a valuation. One commented about the energy inspection, 'put in some low enregy bulbs for the survey'.

When we bought our French house the inspection stated that it needed 30cm of insulation in the roof.

I wonder how many people have said 'oh I love the house but will not buy it because it is categorised as D for energy'.

Paul

Lou, you're right, it's the DPE. The agent is also talking about Carrez and the square metreage of the house being measured by an 'expert'. We finally got something in writing from the agency yesterday.

They have their own pet expert of course, and are offering both these expertises to be done for 100 euros.

Whoever said it's a nice little earner is spot on. I looked at some websites for organisations offering expertises and they have sections for employment and training as an expert.

So if I understand what's being said, a house can't be advertised after 1st January unless it's had these expertises done?

Thank you for the replies. My best,

posh

Archived