Complete France Forum

Travelling to the Dordogne

carlux

We're travelling to Sarlat next Summer and are thinking about taking the Eurotunnel to Calais, then driving down with an overnight stop. I've heard that getting around the outskirts of Paris is a nightmare, particularly on national holidays (we're travelling on July 14th). Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative/ best routes? Cheers.

I would never ever go near that terrible Perry Ferrick road round Paris ever again! The last time I took that route, I ended up in the back streets of Paris having indecent proposals made to me person by these women in red mini skirts, one of them was only wearing a negligent at 5pm in the afternoon!

Why don't you book a crossing with the wonderful LD Lines from Portsmouth to Le Havre  http://www.ldlines.com/   and drive to Sarlat through Le Mans, Tours, Angouleme, Perigaux till you get there!

you save about 200 klms too!  If you do go through the Perry Ferric in Paris, then just follow the signs for Bordeaux and you will be OK!

The Dordogne is lovely though! it has it's own distinctive smell, I noticed the last time I was there.

http://www.ldlines.com/

Quite a few of us who do this journey take the Calais, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Orleans, Limoges route. We found it on "theaa.co.uk"

It is getting better all the time and although Rouen and Chartres can be a little congested at times, they are not in the same league as Paris.

Are you going to lovely Carlux ?

Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions. We're going to be staying at Simeyrols, 5 mins from Carlux actually. We stayed there for the first time this summer and fell in love with the place, I unfortunately had an accident though and ended up with a broken ankle, so we're going back next year to finish my holiday!

Why drive?

As a self Employed soon to retire person building in Thiviers I fly with Flybe from Bristol to Bergerac for £200 return for two people, hire a small car for about £130 per week and save two days travel and a lot of greif. the cost of car parking outside Bristol is C£28 for 8 days and the extra costs compared with self drive are adequately compensated by the value of the 2 days saved  for me if I'm not working I'm not earning.

prices researched thro the web

Roger in Thiviers

Yes, I'll endorse that too, Roger.

In the summer I spend too long there to make this a sensible option and I usually have too much "gubbins" to take to make a flight viable, but for short breaks in the winter we use Flybe from Birmingham to Bergerac.

Hoddy

Hi  Roger.

I agree it does save an awful lot of time; not to mention the toll on the car in terms of mileage, petrol and repairs etc.  However you have forgotten one thing.

You are restricted by weight or have you perfected the Dr Who tardis of packing vin packs and vac packed cheese.    ouhhhh trying saying that after a glass or 2 or 3.

I know because we live in Turkey and my husband and I talk about this every time we fly back to our beloved France!..

Yours ...Desperate for a glass of decent plonk and slice of brie.....

July 14th???? PARIS?????

I've just done the A86 route round Paris at the beginning of last week. The French all seemed to be on holiday, (again!!!! Is there another country that gets more holidays then them? Every time we go, [and the wife is a teacher], they're all on holiday, and with usually double, or 50% more time off thanshe gets ), and it took around one and a half hours of nose to tail queuing before we got onto the very crowded A10. This was coming in from the A1

NEVER AGAIN !!! Come back Rouen, and the A16, A28, A154, all is forgiven............

Alcazar

[quote]How I wish I were near Sarlat with a car at the moment - all those walnuts. The only walnuts I could get last week were from China and tasted awful.Hoddy[/quote]

And we've just left two tree-loads on the floor for the local rodents again this year, neither time nor inclination to pick 'em up

Alcazar

• 2 weeks later...

Archived