Complete France Forum

Getting through / around Paris

P

Will be driving down to the south soon for the first time. Making it easier - it will either be in a LWB Luton or a 7.5 tonner.

Will be going from Calais to south of Toulouse.

Used Mappy to produce a route and from it it seemed a piece of cake getting around Paris. However, looking at the road maps the roads do not seem that easy to navigate.

So my question - is it and what are the times to avoid

Paul 

The secret to navigating in France is to ignore road numbers and look for place names.

You'll arrive in Paris near to CDG airport then use the autoroute network around the eastern/southern side of the city. Follow the general route signs for Bordeaux then Orleans. If you see signs for Creteil and Palaiseau, then you know you're on the right track.

This autoroute section is usually quite busy but it's mainly fluid.  Try Bison Fute for up to date information of traffic conditions.

Yes it is easy to get round paris, i go on the N104 to the A6 you just have to look out for your road signs and the nutters on bikes.The best times are usually after rush hour at night say after 7pm and early in the mornings say befor 5am.The weekends are best as less trucks on the road and early sunday is great only takes me about 40 min.

Try this for updated traffic news : http://www.radiofrance.fr/services/inforoute/tempsreel/

Best time to do the journey : Night time!! le traffic est fluide then!...

You can also go wide of the place by going east towards the Champagne region, Marne la Vallée/Disneyland, Evry, and then back down towards Orleans, Tours A10 Bordeaux.

Lovely motorway stop at Les Ruralies near Niort in 79. Park the vehicle in the carpark, lots of local shop stuff, eateries and such like.... or walk towards the back of the compound where the arch is and there you can venture in the countryside. Niort and its satellite town Aiffres are in the distance 7 to 8kms as the crow flies. Lovely relaxing walk albeit flat vast expanse of fields.... After a long drive sitting motionless, it's quite a welcome thing...

Having just got lost going round Paris yesterday (fortunately only 2 junctions before I realised) if you are going South from CdG Airport look out for Bobigny .    Creteil which is conveniently marked on the way up is ignored on the way back until a bit later - leaving you to flounder hopelessly!!!  After Bobigny look for Creteil and Orly then, strange but true,  Nantes - keep following Nantes which will be soon joined by Bordeaux and Lyons do not worry if you are not going anywhere near any of those places just keep following and you will eventually hit the A10 where other places South of Paris will be revealed!!  The road is actually the A86 but that has a couple of branches just to keep you on your toes.  Try not to drive too fast as it is important to keep an eye on the panels and stay in the right lane there are a few roads branching off to the left as well as the right and it is easy to whizz off on the wrong route if you're not paying attention.

Happy Motoring

Maggi

Woops! Very Sorry!...trust a woman [:$] for navigating!! I only saw the going round Paris bit and carried on down the road I would normally take to end up at home in Niort...

Then for Toulouse : Calais down to Evry by Marne la Vallée/Disneyland as I said earlier which is going East of Paris and avoiding quite a lot of heavy traffic by Bagnolet (all these comuting parisians going to work and wanting to get on the Périf) ...Orléans, then Vierzon to Limoges is FREE motorway, Brive, Toulouse.... lovely scenery along that motorway through the Sologne/Limousin/Massif Central...

Archived