Complete France Forum

What is the wind speed limit for speedferries

Chancer

I travelled from La Somme to Boulogne today for a crossing only to find that they were all cancelled due to the wind, there was no wind in my region when I left but it was blowy at Boulogne.

I am rebooked on the 1100 ferry tommorow (I have returned for the night) but the meteo forecasts 45km/h winds for that region tommorow morning dropping to 35km/h later in the day.

I will have to leave in the morning before I am likely to get to talk to anyone, also in the past they have been very "non-comittal" shall we say.

No complaints as I dont expect much of a £15 ticket but I dont want to spend another day on the autoroute if they are not likely to travel.

So does anyone know what their operating linit is? It used to be stated somewher but I can't find it.

Many thanks

The operating limit is governed by significant wave height rather than just wind speed. The limit for the Speed One type of ship is 3m wave height.

Tide and local conditions also come into it, but in real terms, if force 5-6 wind is forecast it is likely there will be cancellations for this type of ship. Depending on other conditions, 3m wave height can be reached in lighter winds, and cancellation is likely if wind is likely to increase during a longer crossing (though that should not affect Speedferries too much with their short crossing).

There is also the matter of 'acceptable' levels of motion sickness, which can be reached in quite moderate seas if the ship's ride control and stabilising system in not very efficient, or is not working properly (as can be the case when running on three out of four engines).

Edit: Force 6 is equivalent to 40-50km/h. The table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale sums it up very well.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

You could just try an email  customerservice@speedferries.com.

[/quote]

Yes if  I had a few weeks to wait and wasn't already tainted by their (and others) "customer service" via e-mail

Do you really think that I stood a chance of getting a reply in the evening? If they had that many staff then they could phone customers advising them not to travel after all you cannot make a booking without giving a contact number.

Edit: - Just remembered that I said I wasn't complaining!

Will

Thanks for the info, if I time it right then I might just have time to phone Dover to see if the boat is going to leave but not sure if I will get a reply at 07.45

JR, now I understand your problem. This is a reply from the email address I posted where I asked the question regarding windspeed and wave height limitations.

Your e-mail has been received by our customer service team who attends to customer service issues only.

If you wish to make a booking, change or activate a ticket or request general information, you MUST contact SpeedFerries Call Centre on:

- 0870 22 00 570 when calling from within the UK

- +44 870 22 00 570 when calling from outside the UK

With SpeedFerries you can book, change, view and activate tickets online at www.speedferries.com. It is easy, convenient and subject to a reduced change-of-booking fee compared to the Call Centre.

Kind regards

SpeedFerries Ltd

Good eh !!................................................................................................................[:D][:D]

JR

I use the Dover Port website and Speedferries are not running today. They hope to start up at mid day weather permitting.

http://www.doverport.co.uk/traffic.asp?skey=21&ckey=228

We don't suffer from sea sickness and use Speedferries regularly and have crossed with winds of Force 6/7.

I believe wind direction is a big factor in deciding whether to cancel.

Good Luck

J.R I once was sick on the River Dart so don't ask me?  However a more generalisation approach as to the weather.  We hear daily as to climate change but here in Normandie I am really now getting so very fed up.  It seems it has done nothing but rain and with associated wind since the beginning of October.  This morning here near Villedieu its wall to wall grey less wind than last night but if the weather forecast is to be believed we are going to have much stronger gusts towards the week end.  We dread it for we live on the second highest point around here.  I have learnt and truly learnt my lesson for when I next buy a house and which is hopefully going to be very shortly I will buy in the winter and not a lovely August day.

It is driving me to distraction when is it going to end.

What is the saying as to wine' buy on an apple sell on cheese'

rdgs

Thanks for the advice and the links to the web-sites which I will use in future. Assuming that they are reasonably updated I should be able to tell whether the boat has sailed from the other side, my problem is that by the time of sailing it is too late for me to set off on my journey.

The shipping forecasts don't look good for the next few days.

Loiseau

Presently my time is flexible but money very tight as I havn.t had an income for nearly 3 years so that is why I choose Speedferries, to be fair this is the first real delay that I have had and it is of course out of their control. I did last night check the price to travel with Norfolklines (who advertise from £19 not that you can ever find one for that!) and it was £145 each way (i am paying £15). If the winds continue to worsen and more services are delayed or cancelled the prices will likely go up more.

I learned my patience whilst backpacking around the world, I travelled to a remote pacific island by small plane which was scheduled once per week, it didn't arrive for my return journey as there were no incoming passengers and only me leaving, I could have guessed as I was the only one at the airstrip.

The next week I had to charter a pick up truck at great expense as the plane time (which could be +/- 1 hour) was outside of the times that communal rides on the back of the pick up trucks could be expected.

The driver stopped in the river (which had crocodiles) to wash his truck despite my protestations and while he was doing so I saw my plane take off and leave 1hr 20 minutes before the "scheduled time!

Archived