Complete France Forum

Registering as Unemployed

Bartbag

Dear All, 

Apologies if this has been asked & answered already - I have had a look but couldn't find very much.  My husband and I moved out to France 7 weeks ago and plan to start a business sometime next year once we've bought a house and got it habitable.  We read in 'Living France' recently that it helps from a tax/social charge point of view if you have registered as unemployed for six months prior to starting up the business inasmuch you won't have to pay as much for the first 12 months.  We know we're not eligible for any unemployment benefit but the breathing space would be very welcome when the time comes.  Has anyone had any experience of this?  Could they provide any pointers at all?  Would appreciate any advice at all.  We spent five years thinking about coming and finally took the plunge this summer - am falling in love with the Correze countryside.  Glad we went to French classes for so long though!  And thanks to all the contributors on the forum - it really is an enormous help to us; hope we can start providing useful advice one day too.

Bartbag[:D]

Yes, there are payment "holidays" for  the unemployed starting new businesses.

Truth be told, however, that unless you are capable of supporting yourself for (perhaps) 2 years whilst starting your business, no amount of deferred payments (which are available anyway) are going to help you.

However, to register as unemployed, you must visit ASSEDIC then ANPE. I'm not sure what their reaction will be if you register simply to get a deferrment in cotistations.

Have you done a business plan? Can you afford to start a business here?

You must register first with ASSEDIC. If you have registered with CPAM first then you can do this online as they ask for your CPAM number, if you do not have this then registering on their website is futile. Otherwise you will have to do this over the phone. Look in the front of your phone book for details. Once this is done you are referred to ANPE. You MUST re-register every month on a particular date with ASSEDIC to stay in the system and attend ALL interviews they send you. If you do not re-register you have to start all over again. You do not get any money at all at the off unless you have paid tax here first or worked here for six months so don't expect benefits to be paid out too soon. My sons have been registered since April and it is still an ongoing experience, they will not refer you to jobs if your French is not up to scratch. My sons have had to do a course in French with IRFA at the insistance of ANPE. One thing though, you can get a pass allowing you free local bus travel, but only covering the month that you are registered with them.

It ain't like the UK here!.[;-)]

Archived