Complete France Forum

Norfolk Line Booking system down

Tried to make a booking Dunkerque/Dover only to get a message that due to technical difficulties you can't make a booking on their website an call a London number to book.  OK so I call the number only to be told that they can't take bookings 'coz their booking system is down, try again in 72 hours [:@] Grrrr-Grrrr.

What on earth is going on that takes that long to fix?   Hire a bunch of servers and restorefrom last night's backup.  A few hours tops.  I'm usually a fan of Norfolk Lines but this is just stupid especially just before Easter.

So, off to P&O to get a quote.  £90 return, not bad I think but I want to pay in Euros.  So, click the 'Euro' button and get a quote for the same sailings.  €117 !!!

That's an exchange rate of 1.30 I think.  Bruddy outrageous [:@]

Seafrance?  If you start your journey in Calais you can only get a price in Euros (€116 in this case) so I don't know how much it would be in pounds.

Well the booking system is back, sort of.   I still got errors during the booking process so I phoned up the booking desk in London.  A very nice (but obviously stressed) young lady took my booking and all was fine.  She kept apologising for the time it was taking ect. but hey, these things happen. Oh yeah, the normal £5 telephone booking fee was waived too (please note the Mr O'Leary)

Just out of interest, I compared my direct booking price of  €98 return, peak times, with a well known booking service which offers A FERRY TO various places.  Same dates/times and they wanted €134 for the same crossing!!

I needed to return from the UK in a hurry last summer, everywhere was fully booked or crazy prices, Norfolkline bless em had a last minute £19 fare on the midnight boat but I encountered the same conneries with the booking system that evening.

Finally in desperation the boking system at aferryto accepting my booking and spat out a booking reference (Norfolkline was taking me to the point of pleasure then spitting me out!) it was the same fare at £19 but without the then Norfolkline premium of £2 for using a debit card.

Archived