Complete France Forum

Cremated Remains

Bikboks

Does anyone know what is the position regarding the disposal of cremated remains if the person concerned expressed the wish that their ashes be taken to the UK and disposed in the event of their death and cremation in France?

What is the procedure and is there much bureaucracy involved? I have been told that it is expensive both in terms of the French requirements and that of the carrier.

Bikboks

It's not unusual to have ashes on board a flight, either as hand luggage or in the hold.

I can't comment on all airlines' policies but as an example this can be found at ba.com:

-----------------------------

Cremated remains can be carried on board our flights in your hand baggage or checked baggage.

In order to comply with regulations, you will need to carry with you all necessary documentation, including a Certificate of Death issued by a competent authority from the country of departure. You will also need to ensure that the cremated remains are packed in a sealed outer box or case.

Please note: If you are carrying cremated remains in your hand baggage, full security procedures will be applied and the sealed box or case will be x-rayed at the airport security point.

Cremated remains can also be carried as cargo.

[quote user="Stefan"]Cremated remains can be carried on board our flights in your hand baggage or checked baggage. In order to comply with regulations, you will need to carry with you all necessary documentation, including a Certificate of Death issued by a competent authority from the country of departure. You will also need to ensure that the cremated remains are packed in a sealed outer box or case.[/quote]Can someone enlighten me as to what this rigamarole is suppose to be for.

To be blunt ashes are just ashes and I fail to see what danger they could conceivably present to any person or property.

Also why the need for the Death Certificate, would anyone really suspect someone of nefariously doing away with their nearest and dearest by DIY immolation then openly carrying the evidence to UK in an Urn on a plane. You wouldn't need anything if you transported them by road and ferry, you'd just put dear auntie Gertrudes Urn in a box with other nick-nacks and call it an ornament if asked [blink]

Paper for papers sake it sounds like.

Ryanair would probably make you buy a seat for the departed !

[quote user="AnOther"]Paper for papers sake it sounds like.

Ryanair would probably make you buy a seat for the departed ![/quote]

No I don't think it's that; there was a change in the law re ashes here in France last year IIRC, I believe someone on here raised the point, but, at the mo I can't find the thread. Where is Clair, when you need her superior research capabilities?

Sue - [:(]sad face, but still cannot do smilies.

You are no longer allowed to scatter ashes where ever you wish in the UK now, you are supposed to scatter them in memorial sections in graveyards, my friend was quite upset to find in the recent cold weather that her MIL's ashes had not dispersed, but frozen in one large lump.[:(]

[quote user="AnOther"]

I have just read that thread and feel that I need to voice my protest at the blatant discrimination

"it is forbidden to keep the urns at home, even if the possibility of burying them in a property is being considered."

[:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]

Good job that does not apply in the UK. My sister has a number of urns in the fireplace with the ashes of numerous cremated pets and now our dads ashes

Paul

Well, Urns, I agree with you - what is all this fuss over ash for goodness's sake?  It's inert, it's harmless - I never understand what all the fuss is about, except to make jobs for civil servants.  When we cremated my sister,  my mother and I just helped ourselves to a jar-full of her remains from the urn and buried them under a rose bush in my mother's garden - nobody was any the wiser nor any worse off.

I totally agree with Dog and Cooperlola.  When you read and hear about what goes down the drains and spread on farmers fields, what you do with your loved ones ashes are small potatoes.  Now there's an idea.

I've left firm instructions for my children about where I want my ashes to go, the saddest thing about it is that I won't be able to see the looks on their faces when they read my letter. Incidentally I reckon they would also agree with Dog and Coops, unless I haven't brought them up to think for themselves.

Personally I do not care one jot about remains or ashes, mine or my beloved ones, human or pets. Absolutely ridiculous to stop people scattering ashes in the countryside or their garden, or indeed burying them. It is a concern however that cemeteries with buried bodies can be very polluting as many people who die nowadays do so after dangerous chemicals (drugs), x-rays and chemo chemicals, pace-makers, etc - if these are near water-tables or streams, rivers, etc. Our little cemetery here receives about 10 bodies a year- so it is not a problem- but in huge town cemeteries it's a different story.

Archived