Complete France Forum

Cheap accommodation in La Roche sur Yon

Rtony

Dear all, My wife became seriously ill on the last day of our holiday in April and is now in CHD, hospital in La Roche sur Yon. I'm looking for somewhere to stay, for me and sometimes my wife's mother as well. We would be coming from England on the ferry for about 2 weeks every month until my wife is well enough to travel. This could be a few months. Any offers, help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Really sorry to hear of your wife's illness and your problems. I can't recommend anywhere but could you ask the hospital if they know of a suitable place or try and find a reasonable B&B that would accommodate you. Good luck and I hope your wife will soon be well enough to travel home.

After having had a couple of long stays in French hospitals myself, both had cheap accommodation for the families of patients which was basic but OK and my mother stayed in both and was perfectly happy.  Somebody asked a similar question recently and I had a look at that hospital's website and found that they had arrangements with several local chambres d'hote.  I've looked all over RsY's website and found nothing but I still reckon you'd be well advised to have a word with the adminstrators as I wouldn't be surprised to find that they have a similar sytem available.

It's worth a go for sure.  There are contact details etc on their website:

http://www.chd-vendee.fr/

Bon courage.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]Coops it wasn't in anyway a criticism, I knew and hoped that you would post with some useful information on the subject.[:)]
[/quote]I didn't take it as such![:)]

RTony, I've had another look through the hospital's website (which is pretty useless as these things go, imo!)  One thing I do notice is that they will provide interpreters if you need one (sorry if you're a fluent French speaker!):

http://www.chd-vendee.fr/index.php?id_site=1&id_page=27 (on a voluntary basis)

There is also a number of organisations which support families, but each seems to be specific to the illness/incapacity involved.  Still, one might be appropriate to you:

http://www.chd-vendee.fr/index.php?id_site=1&id_page=31

As you see, volunteers are available on Thursday afternoons to discuss specific problems.  I reckon a long-term need to visit a spouse/daughter counts!

Dear all, thanks for all the efforts.

The hospital does have 1 room for use at 11 euros each per night for a max. of 3 nights.

The doctors speak very good English, fortunately.

We do have a place to stay in France but its over 70 kilometres away and works out over £100 a week in petrol alone. Perhaps we should try and find a lift?

Tony

Not sure I ever thanked you, coops, for the link to the hospital in marseilles for my friend and his wife.

They did use the link but apparently the accommodation was all full up.

In the end, he took the train to the hospital and she will drive to marseilles tomorrow (and stay somewhere in a cheap hotel just overnight) when we hope he is well enough to sit up and take notice!

merci encore une fois.

And a bit of googling later....

http://www.covoiturage.fr/

The hospital may also have a public notice board which you could post on to see if anybody else comes in that direction on a regular basis.

Three nights does seem a bit mean for a long-term illness to me.  I'd still try the volunteers one Thursday afternoon, if I were you.

Thanks, Bubbles, you're welcome.

Thanks for the good wishes Sweet 17 and Cendrillon. My wife's brother, 3 sisters and our daughter flew over yesterday to see her for 3 days. We don't know anyone in the area I'm afraid.

We've been asked to pay c19 euros a day towards the bed or room, not sure which. Does anybody know if this is reclaimable? Coming up to 6th week now.

Our annual travel insurance had run out!

Tony

The room charge is not usually re-claimable via your EHIC because it's a charge which a French person would normally get back from their top-up insurance (the reciprocal agreements only give you the treatment equivalent which a local would get from the state.)  Sorry this is not what you want to hear with all your troubles.  However, I have heard of some people persuading their local health authority in the UK to pay up for these kinds of charges but, afaik, it's not a "given".  Did your travel insurance run out before your wife was taken ill?

[quote user="Russethouse"] Would your wife welcome other English speaking visitors even though they may be strangers ? There are some kind people on the forum, if your wife would be happy with it someone might  volunteer ?[/quote]

Big second on that ..... some people on here will do more than  " bend over backwards "   to help you .... just ask think you will be shocked with the response

Dave

Thanks all, great suggestions.

The doctor said yesterday that she is now well enough to be transferred to an English hospital which is very good news. As our annual insurance had expired, we didn't have any and France won't pay anything for repatriation of foreigners. The doctor suggested asking the NHS, quoting the EHIC & French CPAM numbers. Does anyone know where to ask please? Also we must arrange repatriation ourselves. Can anybody recommend a company who deal with non insured patients, please?

Thanks, Tony.

Sorry, Tony, me again!  Might I suggest that you post again (maybe in Travel or Health) with a re-patriation specific heading?  I'm concerned that tucked away on a regional board this post might not be getting the attention which it deserves.  Not everybody on here looks at or knows about the "Active" option on here.  I'm only getting what I can from the internet.  Others may have first hand experience.[:)]

Archived