Complete France Forum

Trouble at Charles de Gaulle airport

DerekJ

Personally affected by this today whilst trying to get out of Aberdeen to Paris and onwards home but had had to use my flexible friend to the tune of £691 for a BA ticket instead - but she's worth it [kiss][kiss]

PS: Haven't told her yet that the company will reimburse it [;-)]

PPS: The roof at CDG has been leaking in heavy rain for a considerable time.

Caused by a strike at the French glycol producer, must be the only French syndicalistes that strike once it gets even slightly cold outside.

Even the Amiens bus drivers who have spent most of this year including all of July burning pallets and eating barbecued merguez have wised up and decided to achive their aims by using the comité de santé et securité, and there we were thinking they didnt exist in France!

There have been no buses in the city for over a week now, on Wednesday it came to ahead when all the roads were already cleared and most of the footpaths but the citezens of Amiens still had to walk to work as seemingly untill every grain of snow was removed from in and around every bus stop and shelter in the whole of the transport en commun network including outlying villages the commitee continued to refuse to allow the buses out to "protect" the users.

The Mairie pulled out all the stops and mobilised teams to degage the snow which had previously been moved by the chasse neiges however the syndicalistes breathed a sigh of relief  when the snow fell again during the night, they had been panicking that they may have to work before the Christmas break.

Is it just me or does it seem to others that the French transport minister Nathalie Kaka hyphen Bla Bla looks incredibly ill at ease and nervous?

She reminds me of someone that has been dropped in the ka-ka and who has to deputise for someone at the last moment and is really playing above her game.

I am sure that she must be competent to have won the position but she does not give me that impression.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

It collapsed in 2004 and killed 3 or 4 people.

Same architect that did the funny shaking suspension bridge in London for 2000.[/quote]

Are you sure?

The terminal at CdG was designed by Paul Andreu. The wobbly bridge was a concept of Sir Anthony Caro, the artist and sculptor. Paul Andreu did design another terminal at Dubai Airport which also had a fatal collapse - during construction.

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="pachapapa"]

It collapsed in 2004 and killed 3 or 4 people.

Same architect that did the funny shaking suspension bridge in London for 2000.[/quote]

Are you sure?

The terminal at CdG was designed by Paul Andreu. The wobbly bridge was a concept of Sir Anthony Caro, the artist and sculptor. Paul Andreu did design another terminal at Dubai Airport which also had a fatal collapse - during construction.

[/quote]

Not sure now; maybe mixing up T3 Pékin, 2G CDG and Foster. Maybe it was 2E CDG that collapsed.

A sort of horizontal gothic with an unfavourable finite element max/min Principal Stress concentration at the apices.

Just checked Andreu correct, terminal 2E, four killed 2004; see copier/coller.

Terminal 2E, with a daring design and wide open spaces, was CDG's newest addition. On 23 May 2004, not long after its inauguration, a portion of Terminal 2E's ceiling collapsed early in the day, near Gate E50, killing four people.[1] The Chinese government reported that two of the dead were Chinese travellers, and another of the dead was reported to be of Czech nationality. Three other people were injured in the collapse. Terminal 2E had been inaugurated in 2003 after some delays in construction and was designed by Paul Andreu. Administrative and judicial enquiries were started. Andreu also designed Terminal 3 at Dubai International Airport, which collapsed while under construction on September 28, 2004.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to prove how fickle the whole system is - I heard directly from the people involved (captain and first officer) how they bribed a dispatcher €100 at CdG on Christmas Eve to bump them up the departure list by 4 planes so they could both get to respective family engagements in UK that evening.  Real danger of them being stuck in Paris otherwise.

Archived