Complete France Forum

Eurostar at St Pancras

I have to meet some French visitors arriving by Eurostar at St Pancras next week.  I have never been there myself and wonder if there is a landmark I can tell them to make for.  A friend has suggested the statue where two people are meeting, but another friend says that they will not pass by the statue.  Or can I go to the platform where the train arrives?  How easy would it be for me to miss them?

Arriving passengers pass in to the public concourse through one area: it's just like you'd find at any International airport.

Just position yourself at (dare I say it?) 'Arrivals' and they'll come out in front of your nose.

You won't be able to go to the platform (customs & security embargoed).

• 2 weeks later...
I went to St Pancras at the weekend to pick up our French friends who arrived by Eurostar. Came up by tube, handy as the Piccadilly line is fairly close to home. Eurostar terminal was clearly signposted and I need never have worried. However it's a good job I didn't rely on the info from a friend as I didn't even see the famous statue. Beautiful station though.

[quote user="Frecossais"] I didn't even see the famous statue. Beautiful station though.
[/quote]

Glad it all worked fine.

Not surprised that you didn't see the statue.  We've been through the station on a number of occasions and haven't ever really 'got up close'.

The problem is that it's on the (sort-of) mezzanine and everything else (arrivals and departures) is at ground floor level. When you're arriving or departing, which is what you do at stations, you just don't have the time or inclination to explore, especially when you've got baggage to lug around.

WHAT statue? I didn't even see it, although I was there last week, being met by an old friend on the concourse - we hadn't seen each other in 35 years, so it was quite fun...she had the advantage of having at least, seen some photos of me and we had no problem at all, no need to hold a placard with names on[:)], but we could have done just that.

I also went back to St. Pancras a couple of times (was staying close by) during my London stay - and missed the statue every time.[:'(] It is much more relaxing to be there without luggage, Gardian is right.[:D]

We saw the meeting statue and also the Betjman statue at St Pancras. We thought the Betjeman statue was marvellous!

We popped to St Pancras the evening before taking the Eurostar, just to get our bearings for the next day. OH had been ill, so we didn't want unforeseen problems finding our way at rush hour next morning. We stayed and had a glass of champagne at the champagne bar, toasting our journey. Very pleasant! We were so glad we'd checked it all out the evening before - it wasn't fun with a suitcase in the rush hour there!

The aforementioned statue is huge, and IMHO, horrible.  I did a recce when the station first opened (bringing back many  memories as when I first came into London 20 years before, I'd travelled out to Luton each day to work for a time from the old St P).  I thnk they have done a marvellous job at improving and renewing the building but give me Betjeman's statue any day - along with all his lovely verses - which you not see if you are actually  travelling on the Eurostar as you do not pass them ..... shame.

The big statute everyone talks about is on the (old) platform level, so only as visitors, rather than passengers,  to the station do you pass it at all.

Archived