Complete France Forum

BF Roscoff/Plymouth crossings

Val_2

[quote user="Val_2"]No more sailings as from today until March 19th, headlines in local paper this morning. In case anyone wants to cross before that time will now have to find an alternative.[/quote]

http://www.letelegramme.com/ig/generales/regions/morbihan/brittany-ferries-arret-des-rotations-roscoff-plymouth-durant-cinq-semaines-07-01-2013-1963896.php?xtmc=Ferries&xtcr=4

This translated from French Newspaper .

Starting today, the company stops its rotation Brittany Ferries between Roscoff and Plymouth (England) and for five weeks. Then resume links before returning to a normal rhythm from 19 March. "This is quite consistent with what was announced in June, as part of the plan to restore competitiveness," stated yesterday evening, Jean-Marc Roué, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the company . In the absence of rotations between Roscoff and Plymouth, ten staff employees become unemployed sedentary technical part, while the sailors are assigned to other lines of the company.

The BF Web site has not caught up with this situation  it appears as they are still taking bookings .....   Having suffered from the disruption the industrial action caused last year This start to the year does not incline me to believe I will have a year free from some of the same .

Hence why I posted it because unless you live locally you may not know and make plans for crossing before that time as my friends had wanted to attend their daughter's wedding which they now won't be able to go to as they cannot manage longer journeys any more.However,BF I believe will still have a rocky road ahead if they are to make any profit this year as people put travel further down their list of priorities as against paying their bills and buying food for their families.

The sailings actually recommence on Thurs 14th Feb with 3 x wkly crossings each way on Thurs, Fri & Sundays.

The 'normal' off season schedule recommences on 19th March, with more-or-less daily sailings.

I don't disagree with you Val about the prospect for a difficult year for BF, but I think that will be the case for many transport operators. That's the very reason for reduced frequencies during the 'quiet season'.  Nothing particularly new in that and it makes sense.

Archived