Complete France Forum

Ryanair stops winter flights Bristol-Béziers

NormanH

This year for the first time since the line started there are no flights Bristol Béziers after 4th November until March.

I heard this at the market this morning from an English couple who have a holiday home here and usually come over in the Christmas period, and I immediately checked it the the President of the CCI who happened to be passing.

As it seems a busy and successful line with a good % seat occupancy I wonder if it is a first shot Ryanair's reaction to the fine that I mentioned in another thread?

In any case it isn't yet clear on their website unless you try to book a flight after the 4th November, so I suggest that if you are planning to fly on one of their routes to the South (Perpignan/Carcassonne/Nîmes/Béziers etc you check it out quite soon to see if it is maintained this Winter..

Looks a bit like there aren't any Rodez-Stansted flights after early November, either.

My memory isn't as good as it was, so I can't recall whether this complete cancellation is the same as last year. I know Ryanair have had winter flights on this route in some previous years.

A recent programme on TV stated that Ryanair employs their pilots on zero hour contracts so it obviously makes it easier and cheaper for then to stop flights - I presume cabin crew are on fixed term contracts.

Perhaps this shows the difference between an airline providing a service as part of their business and one that only wants maximum profit.

A trade off you have to accept with low cost airlines is that unlike the legacy carriers they will not use higher profits earned in season during the summer to subsidise a route in winter and provide a year round service. So if you need a reliable year round service you have to be near to an airport serviced by an airline like BA. 

easyJet used to run an old year round service (including winter) between Bristol and Bordeaux but stopped it in 2005.  Since then, it has been March-October only.

I don't understand why they don't run a once-weekly service in the winter months.  I am certain that there is demand beween the South West of England and the South West of France.

Kitty, if the demand was there I am sure Easyjet would operate the route during winter at a lower frequency,

However, the low cost carriers have to operate at 85% plus capacity to make a profit and in winter from the UK regional airports thats a tough ask and there is no doubt in recent years a lot of Brits in France have left or cut bank dramatically their expenditure and hence travel.

Archived