Complete France Forum

Mosquitos in January?

ali-cat

As this is our first January in France, I wondered if anyone can help with a little query?!

Is it normal to be having an infestation of Mossies in January?  It's seems awfully early in the year for them to be out - anyone else got them yet?. 

We are coming down with the blood-sucking little blighters!!  I've also (I think) been bitten by one, on the back of my head - as I have a really painful, itchy lump there, the size of a ping-pong ball!!  (At least I know it's not my brain trying to escape - as the lumps too big!! [:-))] )

I saw one last night in the house!!!! Evil little things (They eat me alive).

Umm it does seem a tad odd, but then my rose bush is flowering and some beech seeds i planted in autumn have already germinated.

Oh and my neighbour tells me that someone she knows near Tours (i think) has apple trees in full blossom.

[blink]

Edit....I also still have the summer duvet on the bed.....and have been too hot in the night. (We have no central heating.)

Something very strange is happening. We've got flies around in January and plants and shrubs are showing signs more like March. The sad thing is that when the blizzards and ice come next month (according to my old farmer friend) everything is going to die.

I blame the government...................................[:)]

Nothing at all unusual to have mosquitoes in January, in fact they are present to some degree all the year round although it is only the females that bite (take blood), I also believe that blood taking is mainly during breeding times as a protein is required for egg production, hence the reduction in bites during the winter months.  During the winter period they tend to gather "under cover", in houses, caves and similar places, only going outside when it is mild, so if you go into underground cavities you will find literally tens of thousands of them overwintering but not biting, in fact logically as they have a complete metamorphosis they have to survive the winter to enable them to breed when things warm up again.

Needless to say, I think they are wonderful creatures which so many other species depend on for a food source, no such thing as good and evil in nature, it is what it is.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

Needless to say, I think they are wonderful creatures which so many other species depend on for a food source, no such thing as good and evil in nature, it is what it is.

[/quote]

Do you know, I've always wondered exactly what the purpose of a mosquito was. Even flies serve a purpose in the cycle of life and death, but mossys well.

If they really are just part of the food-chain, don't you think 'he' would have made them a bit fatter.

[Www]

Nope - as far as I'm concerned they are evil.  Accoring to my dictionary the definition of evil is - wicked, very unpleasant & harmful.  It also includes "morally bad" & as I'm a nice person they must be morally bad, to bite me!!   [:-))]

It's not just the mossies, it would seem that we have fleas again and these really do not usually show themselves in the depths of winter.  We have no carpets so they are not hiding in those and anyway we 'bombed' the house a couple of months ago with that awful hit and run stuff that is very nasty and kills all insect life.  My poor cat, who suffers terribly with an allergy to fleas, has never had problems with them in the winter before here or in the UK.  So it's back to all the anti-flea measures depsite the vet telling me to leave it off for Jan as it shouldn't be needed and to give her a break, without these she gets ulcers so there is no choice, perhaps that predicted cold snap will sort them out!

The mosquitoes and flies here have been present all year around.  Which is most unfortunate for me as they are still biting.  I think that mosquitoes should be put into Room 101; the creatures that eat them surely eat other creatures too?  Give that the little b*stards enjoy dining on the palms of my hands, soles of my feet, scalp and eyelids (to the point where I can't see due to swelling), they deserve to be banished forever. 

If that will be detrimental to biodiversity, then I'll have to enlist the help of the Roslin Institute in Scotland and get them to create a new species of super-bat which prefers living in a house (mine) to a tree or cave.  If that fails, I'll become a troglodyte.

No, no, no.  I have a superior flavour, which is why the mosquitoes prefer to dine chez Tay - the equivalent of a Michelin starred restaurant.  On the other hand, those who don't get bitten are the equivalent of McDonalds.  [8-|]

Archived