Complete France Forum

Our new female mayor

phylisbide

An enthusiastic young woman, hopefully thinking about our ageing local population and how to encourage young people to live there permanently - also the process was really interesting - a huge turnout at the poll - is this normal in France?  That in itself is quite illuminating. Any ideas on where we might find info about her status age-wise vis a vis the the rest of France?

Phylis

There was a large turnout last year for the Presidential elections.  The first round had the highest turnout for over 20 years.

Reading on the internet, a report by an international institute in 2004 (too long to reproduce) says that the French have averaged 82% for Presidential elections since 1945 and 75% for other elections.

The bottom 4 in Western Europe (1945-2002) for turnout is:

4th from bottom: UK

3rd from bottom: France

2nd from bottom: Spain

Bottom: Ireland

Top was Belgium with 95% and 92%.  The lowest ever turnout was the UK in 2001 at 59%.

So, Phylisbide, compared to other Western European countries, a high turnout is not usual in France.  What was it?

[quote user="Cathy"]

There was a large turnout last year for the Presidential elections.  The first round had the highest turnout for over 20 years.

Reading on the internet, a report by an international institute in 2004 (too long to reproduce) says that the French have averaged 82% for Presidential elections since 1945 and 75% for other elections.

The bottom 4 in Western Europe (1945-2002) for turnout is:

4th from bottom: UK

3rd from bottom: France

2nd from bottom: Spain

Bottom: Ireland

Top was Belgium with 95% and 92%.  The lowest ever turnout was the UK in 2001 at 59%.

So, Phylisbide, compared to other Western European countries, a high turnout is not usual in France.  What was it?

[/quote]

Cathy, I lived in England from 1946 to 2003 and don't remember ANY presidential elections. I hope that the rest of the data is more accurate.

John

The report divides information into national and local elections because national elections usually have higher turnouts.  The UK national elections are called General Elections of course.

I have been looking for post 2002 data as I feel sure that the UK turnouts will be down.

Archived