Complete France Forum

Money for nothing

PJ

I have recently had to return to England due to a health problem with a family member. I have put my house on the market with a local agent. He arranged for a diagnostics report to be done on the house and I received a bill for the service from assessor in early March. I paid the bill (not a small amount) and the money has left my account. I have had no paperwork from the assessor and although I have tried emailing and reaching him by phone I have had no reply from him. The agent considers the problem is between me and the assessor. In England I would now go to a solicitor as a next stage. Can anybody tell me who I can contact for further help in France please.

We sold a house privately fairly recently and arranged for the diagnostic checks to be made.  With ours the expert merely sent the report straight on to the notaire we were using.  We never actually saw it!  Even though you're paying for it, if all is well they see no need to send the report to you personally.  Are you sure that the estate agent (or notaire) if one has been nominated isn't already holding it? 

So long as the report that you have paid for is available when required during the conveyancing perhaps there is only the age old problem of communication between languages and via E-mail.

Do you know who is due to receive the report and when? I assume the agent as he effectively instructed the assessor on your behalf but maybe it will be the notaire.

Having seen some of these so called but often unqualified assessors at work on a French TV exposé programme I have to agree that it money for old rope if not nothing[:)]

Archived