Complete France Forum

How to identify a tree?

Does anybody know of a website where I might be able to identify a tree? There's plenty of sites but mostly localised, American ones, which doesn't help. I have leaves from an inconveniently situated tree and don't know whether it is one that I want to keep, or cut down - depends on what type it is. I may try and post a photo later ... not done this before ... or does anybody know a website from which I could try and work out what it is?

Many thanks all.

Tree ident is easy. Usually they are the large things with a trunk, branches and either needles or leaves unlike houses which don't have any of the afforementioned! (etc. etc. etc.)

But seriously.................... try identifying the general leaf shape on Google images; it takes a while but there are loads of pics.  If not please do have a go at posting a pic as you'll get loads of help.

Grumpy

A bit of thread-drift on this one:

I had tried to identify a tree in our "orchard" which was looking rather poorly and never produced any fruit just a small amount of blossom. For at least 5 years. I used a website in the end and decided on almond. I did tidy it up a bit, cut off loads of dead twigs etc.

Then one day last week, looked out of the window and was amazed to see it covered in bright golden globes [:D] It's an apricot tree!

• 3 weeks later...
Nice one Patf.  I used to run a tree ident. course at Flatford Mill.  One year we came accross a tree in early winter and I spent some time explaning looking at the bark and buds and finding leaves nearby.  Eventually I decided that it was some kind of apple tree at which point the students started roaring with laughter and pointing.  I looked up and saw.........................................an apple hanging on the tree!  So I was right but the moral was look for the obvious first!!

Grumpy

Archived