Complete France Forum

Name that snake

And more importantly, is it poisonous?  Cosworth the cat - and that's her paw in the picture - has dug two of these up in the last few days and thinks that they are wonderful toys, but are they poisonous and should we be worried (apart from for the poor snake, of course?)  We've looked him up on the internet but can't get a good match.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/DSC_69771.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks, Mr Teapot.  We had assumed (and hoped) so - especially as Cosworth is alive and healthy in spite of playing for hours with her new toy - but nothing we've looked at on t'intnernet convinced us totally.  I think now that Mr C will be more inclinded to rescue the snake from her clutches!

Yes, that looks like a couleuvre (grass snake).  They rather like water; I have seen them swimming in a small pond.

Here's a page about distinguishing vipers from grass snakes.  The two most reliable differentiating features seem to be the eye (round pupil in grass snakes and slow worms; vertical slit-shaped pupil in vipers), and the scales on the head (fewer and larger on the head of a grass snake than of a viper).

Angela

[quote user="woolybanana"]Pick them up and look them closely in the eyes until you are sure which is which!!![/quote]Oh, ta!

As it happens, the round eyes are very evident in the original picture so we're now 100% convinced it's a grass snake.  Thanks one and all. 

[quote user="woolybanana"]Pick them up and look them closely in the eyes until you are sure which is which!!![/quote]

That should work with humans too, it would be neat if it did, and we would be able to tell the venemous ones just by 'looking into their eyes'.

[quote user="idun"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Pick them up and look them closely in the eyes until you are sure which is which!!![/quote]

That should work with humans too, it would be neat if it did, and we would be able to tell the venemous ones just by 'looking into their eyes'.

[/quote]If only that were so, how many mistakes in my life might have been avoided.[:D]

How would one perform a naming ceremony for a snake, particularly one that looks not much larger than an earwig? In these straitened times wasting a bottle of champagne would seem a tad OTT as well as not doing much for the snake.

You may care to ponder this on Friday instead of wondering why Willy is too tall for his hair.

John

Everyone

can't understand the language of your eyes. Hope one is that lucky to

have relation with the sort of people who know him by their heart and

can understand him without he say any words.

Archived