Complete France Forum

Do you like speaking french?

TWINKLE

Only I started a french word game thread called "Jeu de Mots" a couple of weeks ago and I'm a bit surprised that it isn't doing as well as the english "Word Game" and "ABC Game" threads. 

I put it in the Lounge section but maybe I should ask for it to be moved to French Language for more people to take an interest.  Even if your french isn't very good you can still have a go with a and maybe learn some new words while you're at it.

Why don't you want to play?

I agree Twinks.....the english version is played a lot more, and to be fair i play it more than the French one. But i reckon it is good for learning. I guess some folks get a bit embarassed in case the get something wrong, either that or they've spoken enough French during the day and can't be bothered to think anymore!!

Except that I'm not...

It's a perennial problem on French fora that people don't speak the target language! Partly because they SPEAK the language as opposed to WRITE the language. To have your efforts permanently on display is a bit daunting. My French has been described by a French teacher colleague as having a fantastic vocabulary but no perceptible grasp of grammar (both statements an exaggeration) so I'm faintly embarrassed about showing that off to people whose written language is much better than mine. I think that's pretty much it.

Dick mon Cheri!

I thought the thread would be a good way of learning french words - I certainly didn't want to embarass anybody.  It's only one worders - no grammar or nuffink like that[:)] 

I'm sure most people living in France own a French-English dictionary.  I posted this thread to find out why the French word game wasn't very popular and so far a few of you have said that they are embarassed by their poor French.  I just think that's a shame - it's only a game but I can't force any of you to play.

Never mind - I'll play with myself[:-))]

I did post once to it, but first I have to be SURE I understand the word I am following, then I think of the association and usually need to look up the French........it takes the immediacy out of it and usually by the time I have done that some one else has posted !

So much easier in English...........

Both the "Word Games" are tedious, English and French.  Sorry - just a personal view.   I am guilty of contributing occasionally to both when very, very bored with nothing else going on here.  Sorry again.  Hope this does not upset anyone.  Please do not come round and stone my windows.

I mean this reeeely kindly, Twinks, but maybe people coming into the lounge want to decide for themselves what they find fun and what they don't? Whatever the language, posting one word onto a forum wears a bit thin after a while...................... Just my view.[:$]

You can be in my gang Cassis and I won't throw stones at you 'cos I hate all games on computers.  Do like speaking French and English - just don't like games.  And (aunties uncles are you listening) I will be that boring person refusing to play Monopoly in any language AGAIN this Xmas.

Maggi

I quite like playing the few word games on here. I like the French one equally to the others. I may have to put a bit more thought to it but I have a passion about learning this language. I'm very random at when and how often I visit the forum, but always have a peek at the word games. I'll play Twinkle, after all, it's only a bit of fun and banter.

LOL [:)]

Well - I had a nice note from an French ebayer that said he had received the money, was posting the goods and could I leave feedback. I forwarded the note to my friend and said is my translation correct ? - yes, it was, but I took two lines to say it and the original sender took six !

I often get the 'sense' but not the word for word translation.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]  .....  Exactly how bad is your control of the Gaelic lingo[;-)][/quote]

Twinks lets not confuse our polyglot friends.... 

Their Gaelic (Brythonic branch) lingo virtuoso is probably nil unless they happen to speak Welsh at some varying degree of fluency....

Their Gallic lingo virtuoso is probably nil unless they happen to speak French at some varying degree of fluency...   

Archived