Complete France Forum

On-line translation... with speech

Rose

Clever isn't it!  I think your site opens to the same place... are they reasonably good?  My french is ok when speaking (needs to improve, hence the lessons!) but there are often words where I'm unsure of pronunciation... particulary with my son's homework... this would help a lot.

I used to use Google translation but it left much to be desired.  For example, I wrote a letter to Butagaz about the 'citerne' (gas tank) in the garden and apparently used a word meaning water reservoir, which (their agent later told me) caused a high degree of amusement in Butagaz's office.

I gave up translation sites after a French landlord told me that my conversation was streets ahead of my written French and he couldn't understand why.  I now write in "conversational French" and usually type the following in a little box somewhere on the letter:

Veuillez excuser la qualité de mon français. J’ai étudié le français a l’école il ya de numbresues années et si j’arrive a me faire comprehendre a l’oral, la longue écrite reste pour moi très difficile.

Claire - thanks for the advice, maybe I'll use it to check pronunciation and not rely on it for translation.  I just tried it without changing the language from English and heard an English/American gentleman speaking French words... very amusing...sounds a bit like my OH! [6] [:)]

Cathy - I'm a bit like you - I have the remnants of school-girl French and years of holiday French and on the whole can get by ok when talking (although I still hate to answer the phone - fear seems to take over! [:)]) My spoken French has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 6 months but I know I've reached a point where I needed more help... especially with written French... hence the lessons!  I'm feeling confident and I am determined to learn... and of course I need to try and keep up with my son! (maybe fighting a losing battle there though!) 

Thanks again ladies... as usual most helpful! [:)]

I know what you mean Im going to peel spuds now rather than continue banging my head against this book.I have been at it since 11am non stop and only answered 6 questions , mind you thats about 5 a4 size pages I have written.  If only I had a brain im sure it would be easier [:(] 

[quote user="Pads"]5 a4 size pages I have written. [:(] [/quote]

[:-))] I've only typed a page... I'm not as dedicated as you... does that mean I go to the back of the class!  I think you're brilliant... it was your questions on-line that made me seek out a teacher... you see... you're an inspiration! [:D]

No, no, you 're not going to the back of the class, I'm watchign you!!! [:D]

Allez, on répète.. " Je suis sérieuse, je ne me laisse pas distraire" ... [:D][;-)]

J'aimerais avoir des voisins anglais, ce serait un plaisir de converser en français  ou en anglais.

Mon chéri dit " You don't need to practice " ..mais je crois qu'il est amoureux !! [:)]............

Naaaa ...    You are living in France, it is the best way to learn quickly , if you don' t only stick to English friends.

Every shopping trip is an opportunity to learn things, every little conversation with the boulangère etc , as you well know..

You ll get there sooner than you think..

I  studied English in school, I lived in the UK for a year and my partner is English .. so I have no merit at all...

Archived