Complete France Forum

Nés?

Pads

Nes à la fin du XVIIIe siècle, les passages couverts sont à cette époque une ré volution dans la vie quotidienne des Parisiens.

This is the full sentance , so it should read .... Born at the end of..... or would another word be more apporiate like.... made? created? or ????

Yes I think thats a good Idea as I want to show a understanding of what Im reading not  just a straight translation, but I worry over which a teacher would want , having never really attended a  proper school with teachers Im never to sure what they want from me...... its very confusing some times.   

Pads, next time you post something like this, do try and include a bit of context, for example, the whole sentence and maybe a bit about the paragraph for background.

If you just ask about bits of sentences, it's very hard to give an answer!

I see you're doing a lot of work and I am dead impressed.

Are you in a class with others or are in a one- to- one situation with the teacher?

Pads, are there no evening classes where you live?

I find that it's easier to learn in a fun situation and, given my competitive nature, a bit of a spur to try and be top of the class.

Also, you don't have to make all the mistakes yourself; you can also learn from the mistakes of others!

Good Luck with your studies, Pads.  Next time you come over, all your French friends and acquaintances are sure to be impressed by your progress.

[quote user="Pads"]

Nes à la fin du XVIIIe siècle, les passages couverts sont à cette époque une ré volution dans la vie quotidienne des Parisiens.

This is the full sentance , so it should read .... Born at the end of..... or would another word be more apporiate like.... made? created? or ????

[/quote]

Nés (with the plural 's') relates to les passages couverts (plural). In English we would have used the words constructed, built, fashioned etc., but in this case it's the past participle of 'to be born'. My dictionary also gives to give rise to, or, to be born out of.

So it could be translated, The end of the 18th Century gave rise to covered passages...

Hope that helps.

Archived