Complete France Forum

comedian , well it made me laugh

krusty

Just been watching some French TV interviewing people making a film in Limoges .The names of the people came up with the description "comédien" , I wondered why there was so many comedians in one film . Out came the dictionary , I now know "comédien" is the French word for actor.(I know they are spelled differently).[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Pierre ZFP"][quote user="krusty"]

Also commode which is a chest of draws ? [8-)]

[/quote]

Is it?  Oh dear, I had better not go back to the delightful B&B I stayed at last year [+o(]

[/quote]

.......[:D][:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="krusty"]Just been watching some French TV interviewing people making a film in Limoges .The names of the people came up with the description "comédien" , I wondered why there was so many comedians in one film . Out came the dictionary , I now know "comédien" is the French word for actor.(I know they are spelled differently).[:D][/quote]

I suspect the current English use of  "comedian" as someone who tries to make you laugh is relatively recent. Shakespeare's plays are divided into comedies and tragedies, it seems the difference is that in a comedy the main character does not die! I remember some years ago hearing someone (an academic, perhaps, or a theatre historian) saying that Alec Guinness was the finest English language comedian in the world. He didn't mean that the great Sir Alec was challenging Les Dawson!

Archived