Complete France Forum

Which French expressions do you find quaint or amusing?

mint

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote user="sweet 17"]

je n'ai jamais vu un homme pareil

I have not never seen a man like him..........sooooooooo, you've seen lots of men like him? Or, you've never seen a man like him?

Which is it, then?

[/quote]

It cannot be "I have not never seen a man like him" - that would translate as "je n'ai jamais PAS vu un homme pareil" (double negative in both cases, not right).

"ne.....pas" and   "ne...jamais"

Yes, mi-figue mi-raisin is a good one.

And what about all the expressions and words borrowed from our Maghrebin cousins?

C'est kif-kif. Le bled. Le toubib. La baraka.

'Tis true she  likes her movies.[:)]

Great dico, Danny!

Sweet 17, there are loads more maghrebin words in current use in French.

Well there you go, you made me go and look.

Apparently, in French there are around 215 words that come from North Africa (Maghreb).

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mots_fran%C3%A7ais_d%27origine_arabe

and here are a few of them:

Y a pas bézef (there is not much)

la casbah - home

un chouia - a little bit

un clebs - a dog

faire fissa - to hurry up

le flouze - the money

tout le barda - all the stuff

il est maboul - he is mad

faire la nouba - have a party, or living it up

quel ramdam! - what a lot of noise!

faire des salamalecs - engage in lenghty and complicated greetings (hard to translate, that one!)

toute la smala - the whole family, or the whole tribe and its entourage

Very sorry for the slight thread-drift![:)]

Well, I'd love to faire la nouba with toute la smala but it's not possible with our family en ce moment as there is a warfare going on and half the tribe is alienated from the other half....

Families, who'd have them?

Rotten day here; cold, damp, drizzly and I think I am going to stay here in my casbah and keep away from everyone apart from mon clebs [:D]  

• 1 month later...

I've found myself just this morning using another of those totally illogical French expressions.

A friend was waiting to pick OH and me up in his car.  OH had got in pretty quickly and I was the one giving the dog a biscuit and telling her mama will be back soon, be a good girl, etc.

Then, I called out, "Attendez, je ne suis pas encore arrivée!"

Not only did I not have to "arrive" anywhere, I was saying it as I got into the car.  I couldn't help thinking if I hadn't really arrived, how could I have been there to say so?

If you can think of any more of these "peculiar" things the French say, do share them.......I could do with a laugh.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Had a woman on the phone today, asking for the OH.  I smiled as I said, non, il n'est pas là.  It's so illogical, don't you think?  He's not here, that's the natural thing to say, isn't it?  So, why do we say he is not "là", there?

Yes, I know, him being a man, he isn't always all "there". but, even so........[:D]

Next one is:

Les feuilles mortes se ramassent à la pelle.......see, I did look at the original French lyrics kindly provided by someone here when I mentioned the song "Autumn Leaves".

That, too, made me smile because I can't see the leaves ramassent-ing themselves.  Surely it's YOU who ramassez them?

Can anyone think of other French expressions (or indeed English ones) that make us smile?

Look, the evenings are long and could be boring unless we try to entertain each other?([:D] smile of encouragement).

[/quote]

The reflexive form in French 'se ramasser' is often translated by a passive voice in English.So the leaves don't pick them selves up, they 'ARE picked up'

Thank you, Norman.  Wish someone had explained the French reflexive to me.  Now lots of expressions have become clear.

For example when, earlier in the year, the OH s'est cassé le genou, he didn't break his own knee but his knee was broken!

How much more sense all of that makes!

Archived