Complete France Forum

Going to............

Chancer

I dont know what its called in French but its the cheat form of the future tense "I/you/we/he/she/they am/are going to......................

Up until now I thought that you followed the conjugation of avoir with the infinitive of the verb as in Je vais venir, Il va ramener etc.

This evening I recieved a couriel from a well educated friend (or at least I thought she was) that contained the following passage which seemed to shout wrong to me.

Je vais essayé de te trouver une ceinture de plombs à prêter.

Is she correct in using the past participle of essayer and have I been doing it wrong all this time?

If it werent for the accent aigue I would have put it down to a typo.

Chancer for the future tense, it is "aller" plus infinitive:  so, je vais manger, vous allez manger, il va manger, etc. all fine.

Why do I speak with such authority, me whose French is basic?  Because I learn formulae like these and, unless there is some sort of "exception", I apply the formula and I do not budge from it!!![geek][:D]

Sorry I meant aller [:'(]

I am going left the mistake for posterity [;-)]

She was probably just replying in kind to my E-mail which was I expect badly written, I had a bit of a problem with en which you recently discussed, I wrote;

Je n'en possede pas, est-ce possible d'emprunter une?

Does that sound wrong to you?

I have tried this website and it is good except, when I hover the pointer over an error as instructed, the explanation appears in the top right-hand corner of the browser window, sometimes out of view! On second thoughts, I can scroll the screen so that the "error window" and the text are both in view.

Archived