Complete France Forum

@ - one R or two?

Loiseau

The Academie Francaise have let me down on this one; I can find no reference to it on their website.

The written word in French for the @ sign is "arobase", or "arrobase" ?

I have asked a French friend who is a teacher, and even she feels it could be either. But I feel sure somebody here will know...

Angela

But just look at the line below that, Coops. There it puts it as "arobas" without a final E !!

I have consulted this interesting website, www.paris.blog.lemonde.fr which agrees with you about the single R, and points to the Bulletin Officiel of 8 Dec 2002, which is of the same opinion.

I had been feeling quite confident about the single R, but then I saw it written up somewhere last week in France with two! And then my teacher friend said *she* always wrote it with two Rs, since it is from a Spanish word "arrobe".

Angela

EDIT Crossed with yours, PPP. I don't speak Spanish, but the chap on the above-mentioned LeMonde blog gives the Spanish word with two Rs.

As does this site: http://spanish.about.com/od/spanishvocabulary/qt/at_symbol.htm (Sorry, can't do simple weblinks with this browser.)

:-(

since it is from a Spanish word "arrobe"

The word is actually arroba, a quarter of a quintal .

For me the word arobase comes from arrobas plural of arroba and has one "r". In spanish the double "rr" has a particular sound and arobase is pronounced with one "r".

I remember the same question on a Uruguayan forum and the discussion got quite heated, needless to say the arroba is used widely in South America.[:)]

Note this is an english speaking forum and in english @ is an arobase isn't it!

The fact that Spanish uses arroba for @ and french uses arrobe is of no consequence and should be definitely discouraged by the moderators.

Archived