Complete France Forum

Clair or Mrs Elephant help please.

woolybanana

Pieces of lobster being cooked in a liquid made up of champagne, cognac and water. Then it says to remove the pieces of lobster, "passez la cuisson et faites-la réduire"

Another question please: when a recipe says ...... "en Belle-vue", what does it mean? It can be either beef or salmon.

A lonely, hungry looking figure in an electric chair and bearing a large begging bowl has just turned up at my place and is banging on the door demanding succour. Shall I let the 'ugger in or just smell the cooking? Or turn the dogs in him?  Ooooh, hang, he has some rather nice claret there. Norman, welcome. Dogs, stop biting his tyres!

Well if the shells thave been thoroughly sucked; you should have a delicious sauce a l'homard.

Funny this,  you know, with your olde recipes, the last one you posted and I tried was degueulas.... saving the good'uns for youself eh....... [Www]

Rough translation

Langue de Bœuf en Belle-vue

(this is suggested as a change from the traditional beef fillet or haunch of venison)

Soak a good size, very fresh tongue by soaking it overnight in water with a few tablespoons of vinegar. Then boil it in water for half an hour and then plunge into cold water. Now boil it for three hours with plenty of smoked bacon, onions and a bouquet garni. Take it off the heat and leave to cool in the water. Then remove, pat dry and cover with strips of bacon.. Roast in a low temperature oven for an hour.

Into the roasting place add some roux which contains mushrooms, sautéed in butter, small pieces of truffle, veal or chicken dumplings. Season abundantly and add a pinch of Cayenne pepper.

Now put the tongue on a large oval serving dish, cut into fine slices and pour over the sauce which you have thickened and degreased and to which you have added a glass of cognac.

Garnish with a few langouste and, (optional) at one of the plate, add sliced, brown glazed sweetbreads. At the other end make a pile of potato croquettes.

Le Homard au Champagne

Pop four small lobsters in boiling for about three minutes ( try to get the Homard de Normandie which is dark in oolour and tastier than its Northern American cousins). Remove from the water and keep it.  Let the lobsters cool then crack the shells lightly. Chop the bodies into three pieces. And, fry them in a big pan (it should have a lid) with good olive oil, a chopped onion and shallots, a chopped clove of garlic, thyme and laurel, salt and pepper. Stir continually. After five minutes cooking, pour a generous amount of dry champagne over the lobster, and a glass of cognac, then cover them with some of the water you have kept. Put the lid on the pan and leave to cook for a quarter of an hour.

Remove the pieces of lobster. Strain and reduce the cooking liquid, add tomato purée, add some meat glaze, some small pieces of truffle and bring to the boil. Then cut the heat and gently add a large piece of butter cut into small pieces, a pinch of Cayenne pepper, the juice of half a lemon and fine chopped parsley. Now add the lobster pieces to the sauce and reheat gently, not allowing it to boil. And serve piping hot in a deep dish.

(The champagne may of course be replaced by a good dry white

The langue de beouf with langouste............... I remember a friend of mine giving me very old fashioned looks when I served beef with mussels in a port and brandy sauce, and very good it was.  Apparently in France one doesn't 'mix' surf and turf. Apparently just like they don't fruit or 'confiture' with meat, only ofcourse there are many recipes that do and are very french recipes.

Your menu  sounds wonderful, I'll be round in a posh frock. Norman, fresh bib and tucker for you, we'll just have to wait until Wooly tells us what time apero is served....... won't we......... [:)]

This is for a little project of mine as I have decided to get back in harness to occupy my mind. Xmas dins. will be in Brussels with my daughter and partner; we are currently negotiating the menu. I already have the pudding and crackers - the mince pies have yet to be found.

The problem is that my eyes are 'uggered so reading the small text needs one pair of glasses and looking at the screen needs another pair. Thus, headache from one or the other.

[quote user="idun"]

The langue de beouf with langouste............... I remember a friend of mine giving me very old fashioned looks when I served beef with mussels in a port and brandy sauce, and very good it was.  Apparently in France one doesn't 'mix' surf and turf. Apparently just like they don't fruit or 'confiture' with meat, only ofcourse there are many recipes that do and are very french recipes.

[:)]

[/quote]

Actually the latest Master Chef and similar programmes seem to be doing it a  lot now.

Love to think that I was avante-guarde, but I wasn't. Sadly, just a little ignorance on the part of our friend. She placed all her mussells on the side of her plate and would not eat them as they were with meat, and yet I know she eats moules frites. Sad really.

So we didn't get told what time to get there. Too late now, I'm not usually a boudeuse, but one can end up feeling really let down. Anyway, too late, had chicken broth and dumplings, which is not as fine and exotic, but just right on a cold night.

What do the belgians eat over christmas, do they have the Reveillon de Noel eating orgy with so many plats? Or do they have a christmas lunch or dinner?

My brother is going to Bruges for St Nicholas, and didn't seem to know about St Nicholas............ hence............Santa Claus. Him being a grammar school boy, who also got the good looks, I felt rather disappointed in his lack of knowlege about this.

Don't the kids want double presents? some for St Nicholas and some for xmas day?

Archived