Complete France Forum

Linguistics

Gardian

[quote user="Loiseau"]Betty, somebody told me once to place the lips as if one is going to make the "oo" sound in "fool", but then to actually say "ee".

Works every time for me. ?

Angela[/quote]

I was told and shown to position the lips for saying 'eee' and keeping tongue and teeth  in place, draw the lips in and say 'oooo'. That works for me, but it's best demonstrated live.  [:D]

[quote user="Loiseau"]Betty, somebody told me once to place the lips as if one is going to make the "oo" sound in "fool", but then to actually say "ee".

Works every time for me. ?

Angela[/quote]

If memory serves me correctly, that's how I was taught to do it, long ago, in school... maybe that's why I can do it, when I remember to do the lips instead of just talking ...!  You really do have to pout and do a "pretend" kiss, though, which is  unnatural to we English, even though we use our lips much more than the French do to speak our language.

I'm not sure about this pouting business! [:D] Again, I think a lot depends on the regional accent you begin with! See, if I was using my real accent wot I grew up with, then I'd say "fewl" for "fool", which requires a somewhat different mouth shape...back to the "pure" vowels as previously discussed. Just like my "bath" has a French "à" in it.

Cow noises definitely have a "W" in them round my way..[:D]  And anything with a "U" in it is incomprehensible to people from further south!

I had to move to London to discover that the word bus appears to have an "a" in it....

Archived