Complete France Forum

It doesn't mean what you think!

mint

Been out with my walking group, visiting a local chateau, by invitation of the present incumbent.

We were given a sheaf of papers, detailing the history and the ownership of the place.

So, I have now set the scene.  It was an illustrious history and went back to the 11th century.  Now, to the heading on Page 1:

Barons de S.......(par érection), Comtes et Vicomtes de S........

Like me you too perhaps think that the descendants could only have come about by "érection" of one kind or another?

OK, smutty joke over but just thought to liven things up a bit on the forum.......

[quote user="mint"]Been out with my walking group, visiting a local chateau, by invitation of the present incumbent.

We were given a sheaf of papers, detailing the history and the ownership of the place.

So, I have now set the scene.  It was an illustrious history and went back to the 11th century.  Now, to the heading on Page 1:

Barons de S.......(par érection), Comtes et Vicomtes de S........

Like me you too perhaps think that the descendants could only have come about by "érection" of one kind or another?

OK, smutty joke over but just thought to liven things up a bit on the forum.......

[/quote]

It would seem like the baron was well capable of standing up for himself [8-)]

But? I was always under the impression that an erection was how the Japanese got a new prime minister [8-)]

[quote user="ericd"]Par erection (in this case) means that the said Baron became such by having been given the tittle by the King of the time as opposed to his eldest descendant who would become baron by birth.[/quote]

Eric, on a te pas vu depuis longtemps?  Summer in Whitley Bay or L et G or a bit of both?

Yes, I suppose in English we would say he was raised to the peerage, implying that the title was conferred and not hereditary.

As to all the different hierarchical states, baron, knight, duke, etc, I don't have the least idea and I am not sure I am that very much interested[:P] 

[quote user="mint"]  Eric, on a te pas vu depuis longtemps?  Summer in Whitley Bay or L et G or a bit of both?  [/quote]

'Hi mint ! I have been back but as a visitor just looking at the various posts that were of interest to me. Since the changes to the Website, I don't like the lay-out of the forum (and find it slow to load "a mourir" ) and that doesn't encourage repeated visits.

The whole of August was spent in T&G (not L&G ... ;-)  ) and we did loads on our new septic tank connections, all in 100mm PVC waste pipes. Quite pleased with the result. My wife also spent the best part of 5 days "up-styling" an old buffet that was painted in some gooey dark brown. She is to paint it back "duck egg" type colour. But that's now a 2016 project as I winterised the house last week whilst enjoying great weather. 

There's a new fashion of up-styling projects in England lately (Annie Sloan chalk paint etc.) and this is bound to reach France in the coming years. It's a great way of bringing old (and sometime not so good looking) furniture back to life, even chipboard units can be made to look descent.

[quote user="mint"]  As to all the different hierarchical states, baron, knight, duke, etc, I don't have the least idea and I am not sure I am that very much interested[:P]  [/quote]

I'm neither not interested to learn or get to know these people (I thought they had all been beheaded years ago .....).I however have a friend in Tarn & Garonne. He is a real Count (Comte de Marsac), lives with his family in a lovely castle and is plain as an autumn morning (he grows onions and garlic for a living) and we are good friends.

This brings me to ask a question absolutely not linked to this post. ...... whatever happened to this friendly Sweet17 (with apologies to Abba ?). Has she changed name or left the Forum?

Oh, that sweet17,  I tell you she is neither sweet nor 17; well past her sell-by-date, truly perimée[:D]

So, Mrs D is doing a bit of that thing they call relooker in France?[I]

I have my eye on a couple of secrétaires on leboncoin but both are near Marseille so I need to find a démenageur that will bring the furniture without charging a fortune.

BTW, I have only just learned, from an email sent in response to my enquiry, that it's le secrétaire if it's the meuble you mean and la secrétaire if you mean that nice lady who works at the mairie[:D]

bonne après-midi, eric!

PS I have also recently learned that l'après-midi is feminin [:-))]

I didn't expect that as midi itself is masculin

....... mint = Sweet17???? I'm only waking up to the fact that you had changed name !

Un Secretaire (aka Writing Desk on LeBonCoin) can also be the nice man behind the desk "a la Mairie".

The jury is out on "un" or "une" apres-midi. I personally say "Un bon apres-midi" and not "une bonne apres-midi" .... but no-one will ever correct you on this one. Midi is masculin (un de ces midis je passerai te voir pour prendre le cafe).

I have linked this Website to Google Chrome. Seems to be faster than Internet Explorer.

For those who are interested in these things, ericd is right about après-midi.  I have just looked it up and, apparently, it could be masculine or feminine!

Whatever!  But, of course, it matters not a whit when you are just saying it;  you'd say bon après-midi, cet après-midi, etc.

It's just that I had a email from a French friend, our nordic walk leader, and he wrote "cette après-midi".  When I asked him about it, there were 2 other French people present and they all assured me that it was feminine.

I find this quite curious and I thought others might find it curious too![:D]

Archived