Complete France Forum

accent or no

mint

I'm glad you have pointed that out, Betty, because I might well have used "de" instead of "à" in the search engine.

I never do know which one is correct.  It's taken me years to say machine à pain, lave à vaiselle, etc.

I was talking to the pharmacien the other day and, when he corrected me about something or other, I retorted that I thought those things were done to confondre les étrangères.  To which he laughed and said that I was right to think that!

To return to Quebecoise french, if I may.  Whilst I was still in England, my then French teacher, a well spoken and perfectly easy to understand Bordelaise, with perfect English (married to Englishman) told us of the time she was in Quebec.  She, being French, found it impossible to understand their French, and they being Quebecoise, could not understand her accent.  They ended up communicating in English!

Says it all - really!

We could always understand the canadian french, that was never a problem, we just didn't understand the way they used the words, because it was truly weird.

And the english canadian accent, I can pick up on it, but I think that some parts of the US that border Canada like Dakota and Minnesota have rather similar accents.

Archived