Complete France Forum

podding

Patf

And now I realise where égoutter  comes from [:)]

Well they couldnt really say dégoutter could they! - although my spellcheck seems to allow it, but it lists dégoutter and dégoûter [8-)]

And surely you cannot say "podding" in English? Isnt the correct term "shelling" the peas/beans?

Mind you the French would choose to call it repodding [:P]

Here is what Philippe DELERM (that tireless chronicler of everyday French life) says on this subject:

C'est facile, d'écosser les petits pois.  Une pression du pouce sur la fente de la gousse et elle s'ouvre, docile, offerte.

The piece is called "Aider à écosser des petits pois".

Well that's interesting, I never thought of "shelling" . I think I must have always said podding.

My french neighbour gave me a huge bag of haricots de Tarbes, she can't pod/shell them now because of problems with her hands.

When done I rang her to see if she wants any beans and said "j'ai préparé les haricots..." because I didn't know the other word.

BTW écosser - french word for Scotland is Ecosse.

I'm no gardener but was intrigued to see some runner bean peas which are used to seed the next crop, really colourfull and looked like magic beans.

I gave some to a French guy who spends his life on the allotment, he planted them and I saw the beans growing up the canes with very colourfull flowers, he clearly didnt understand my explanation of when to pick them and how to prepare and cook them because he waited till they were mature like the peas/beans/seeds whatever is the term that I gave him, his wife shelled them and cooked just the peas/beans/seeds and threw away the shell, they pronounced them uneatable.

I later found out they could have been poisoned by eating them, good job they didnt persist!

I wonder what kind those were Chancer? Haricots tarbais are like a smaller version of UK butter beans, but have a very fine skin. You need to soak overnight before cooking for quite a while, eg in a beef stew.

We love them. Very expensive if you buy them in the market.

Archived