Complete France Forum

dont: small but useful

mint

I forget about this little word but a New Year card from a friend has reminded me.

He writes with news of his family and then, to end, he says dont à moi.......etc

My turn then, once reminded, to write in an email to a new acquaintance asking for information about the nordic walking I do.  Concernant la marche nordique dont nous nous avons parlons......etc

I do know how to use it but, for some reason, I don't use dont much[:-))]

I think he probably meant "quant à moi" as opposed to "dont", if I might be so bold..

"Dont" usually means "of which" or "of whom" AFAIAC..

as in : "Deux cafés, dont un crème" or "Trois hommes, dont un français"

So, mint, in your sentence, you *could* have used both...

"Quant à la marche nordique dont nous avons parlé..."

Thank you for the explanation, Betty, impeccable comme d'habitude!

Yes, he must have written quant à moi, as he is very well educated and cultured and would know his donts from his quants[:)]

I think I'd better go back to French class except that I have been enjoying myself, reading and searching out bits of grammar to revise.  I don't plan to go back until March.

Will rememeber quant as that is another "small but useful" word. I'll look at some other small but useful words as this has triggered an interest in what else there might be out there with which I can pepper my conversations and emails[:)]

PS I meant to write nous nous avons parlé and indeed that is what I did write in response but hunger was gnawing at my insides and I rushed to post[:$]

Er, not exactly, Patf.

It's not a combination of anything. It's called a "relative pronoun".

Does this help explain its use?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zqx2mp3/revision/2

I must admit, it's word I might use in writing, but not much in speech.

Angela

• 4 weeks later...

Archived