Complete France Forum

french words for friend, marriage partner etc.

Patf

I put my foot in it the other day when I called the male friend of our widowed neighbour her "compagnon." She corrected me - "mon ami" - he doesn't live with her.

Then I thought , there are so many words for this in french, eg copain, ami, petit ami, conjoint, compagnon, gendre, partenaire, amant/e, concubine, femme/mari etc.  It's difficult to find the correct one, so what's the difference?

I once introduced my female friend to someone saying she was my copine - got some funny looks [:D]

Helping someone give a statement at the Gendarmerie, I had to explain to the Gendarme that the couple making statements weren't married. So he said "I'll put 'en concubinage' "

I explained to the bloke I was interpreting for (his partner was giving her statement in another room) and he replied: " Ooh, just wait till I tell her...she's always wanted to be one of those"

there are so many words for this in french, eg copain,

ami, petit ami, conjoint, compagnon, gendre, partenaire, amant/e,

concubine, femme/mari etc.  It's difficult to find the correct one, so

what's the difference?

Of course one major problem in fixing this is context.

In English for example ' a bloke' hasn't got the same significance as "her bloke"  and it is a bit similar in French.

"Conjoint",  "compagnon"  are both words I have heard for the person someone lives with bit isn't married to.

Concubin(e) might be used by someone else to describe the situation or on an official form, but I think it has a rather snide feeling and can't imagine someone using it about a partner.

"Femme" et "mari" for me describe wife and husband but can be used ironically of others known not to be really married or euphemistically for one's own partner

In more 'popular' French you hear 'son mec' (her bloke) or 'sa meuf' (verlan for femme)   his 'bird' in old-fashioned English slang

Amant(e) is 'lover' as opposed to friend and might be said between  close friends about one of their affairs, or by a gossip about a relationship

As for friends....'pote' for me is a 'mate' and I reckon it is always used of males

Ami(e) is a friend but petit(e( ami(e) implies boy/girlfriend

Copain/Copine is a close friend but it can shade into casual lover

If one speaks in the plural there is less chance of confusion.

"Mes copines"  is a bit like 'the gang'

"Sa copine" implies something closer..

I am not unshakeably sure but I think you can use "pote" for both male and female good friend much as we use "guys" to address both sexes.

There again, I am only very gradually getting into the vocabulary of the informal and "familier" and I often do not "get it"!

Yikes, I use époux to refer to OH and I am not in the least posh and would absolutely HATE to be thought of as un peu snob!

Got enough of a problem as it is, trying not to forget to say hein every now and again and not to talk about Belioz as though he were a personal friend.....[:-))]

QUOTE Norman

...I reckon it is a bit more snobby... a bit like the word "spouse" which is obviously cognate.

I have heard it formal introductions and used to refer to the husband/wife by middle-class people but not so often by the plebs I frequent.

I wondered if it was sort of "faux posh". I am not sure I have ever heard the "époux" version used by my (few) slightly more upper-middle friends. Next time I catch up with one of those, I shall have to ask.

Angela

I remember when I could only speak about 20 words of french and looked up 'husband', just another word.  And I used 'epoux'.  For someone who did not speak french, I do not think I would have quite believed that 'mari' was the right word... would have sounded like I was going to marry him and not 'be' married to him.

Ofcouse one lives and learns and I don't think about which I use, hopefully it is appropriate for the occasion these days, but it could easily be 'mari' or 'epoux'.

And I know people from french nobility, one family still with the family chateau.  I ended up with an eclectic entourage really, never thought about it, I do wonder if it is because I am interested in people and don't suffer from a nature that envies others. I don't really care what people have got, just what 'they' are like.

Anyway we have had two posters with chateaux ........ one being mint...... or so rumour had it[;-)]

[quote user="idun"]Has frangin/frangine been mentioned?

[/quote]

Surely that is brother/sister rather than husband/wife?

To go back to époux/épouse I have a sneaking suspicion that they are as Loiseau said 'false posh.'

They are the terms found in a document for example, and so when they are used in spoken French they have an element of the Mollie Sugden to them (to my ears), but they are also more at home in the mouth of older people than the modern generation.

NH...... I thought that this was just about words concerning relationships/friendships.......... so brother and sister is one of those, isn't it?[:D]

Patf, do people only say ma soeur or mon frere, and not frangin/frangine where you live?

And WB........... did you used to live in Norfolk....... heard some such thing along those lines on BBC Radio 4 this week...... granted it was on a comedy[Www]

Idun - as far as I remember they say soeur and frère, cousin and cousine.

My widowed neighbour again - she cancelled a holiday in Mexico recently because her cousin (? or copain) had a cardiaque arreste. Or is her cousin her copain?

Anyway I cleared that one up without causing more offence.

She's very helpful with my french, she used to be a teacher of languages. Absolutely refuses to speak english though.

Patf, that is interesting, I cannot remember anyone 'helping' me with my french. If in doubt though, I would ask...... ie at a meeting they kept saying something and in the middle of the meeting stuck up my hand and I asked, in front of everyone.

Only one person, a teacher, later a headmaster and the Maire thought I was stupid for doing so!

And what they kept saying was 'la galere'...and I had sort of worked out that they meant that, but as sometimes, I have got things radically wrong thought I had better ask.

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/fiston_zpsth5pfml7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/fiston_zpsth5pfml7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/frangin_zpsknk1ansd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/frangin_zpsknk1ansd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Ah, "fiston" - I had forgotten that.

I have heard "fifille" (not sure of spelling) used for a daughter, too.

Thinking of parrain and marraine for godparents makes me ponder, I don't think I know the words for godchildren... Oh yes, it's just come to me: filleul/e n'est-ce pas?

Angela

I found my self automatically using another one a few minutes ago

"votre Dame" which is a bit politer with the older generation  than saying "votre femme". That can feel a bit like 'your woman ' whereas what I said is a bit like 'your good lady wife' 

Archived