Complete France Forum

Advice Please!

madeleine08

Hello again,

Thank you for all your replies.  The lady came today and served papers for us to appear in court for defaulting on our personal loan repayments.  We had been in contact with the bank about this and were trying to resolve some sort of repayment plan but it's obviously gone that stage further.

Does anyone have any experience of this?  We are going to get a solicitor as it says if we don't appear then we will have a judgement served against us.  I don't know how this happens in France, do they pass it over to the UK or....?

This is very unexpected as we had been in communication with the bank about this and were trying to sort out some arrangement.

*********************************************************************************************************

Hi all,

Has anyone had this happen for any reason....someone from the HMCS has just called to speak to my husband, obviously wouldn't go into anything with me, but said that the papers had been sent to them from courts abroad.

We have a house we are trying to sell in France as we can't pay the mortgage but we've been dealing with the bank so don't understand what this could be for?

We have had a letter, from France, saying that we hadn't paid our taxes...we hadn't received a bill so didn't pay them, but, we sent them a letter requesting a copy of the bill and also to arrange payment, but never herd anything back.  Could it be this?

All a bit scary!

Any advice would be welcomed.

Did you live in France at any time?  Did you rent out your French property?  If so then you may be liable to pay some tax in France.  The tax system is quite different here and the onus is on you to collect the forms at the correct time (spring following the year any tax is due) and fill them in and return them by the due date.  The authorities here may (incorrectly or otherwise) believe that you owe some tax and by not filling in the forms as you should have done, have attempted to avoid paying tax.  But if you don't owe any tax in France (you live in the UK and this is a genuine second home which you have not spent more than six months in one year in) then you should be fine.  If you are really worried and it does turn out to be a tax issue, you probably need professional advice.

Bon courage.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  We did live in France for 1 1/2 years when we bought our property  We paid the tax for the first year but were told the bills just get sent out to you when it's time for renewal.  I must say we didn't even think about it and it wasn't until we moved back and got a letter saying we owed X much that we realised we never had a bill.  This is the only thing I can think of it being as like I say, we're talking to the bank about money owed on the house and we can't do anything about that until it gets sold.

Why don't the French just reply to letters you sent!

Many thanks

[quote user="madeleine08"]We paid the tax for the first year but were told the bills just get sent out to you when it's time for renewal.  I must say we didn't even think about it and it wasn't until we moved back and got a letter saying we owed X much that we realised we never had a bill.  [/quote]

If talking about house taxes (foncière/habitation), they may have been sent to your previous UK address?

[quote user="madeleine08"]

[/quote]You learn the hard way that the only letters that any authorities here ever pay any attention to are registered ones, as they cannot file them under "too difficult" and pretend they were never received.  Always use registered mail for important stuff is my (too late - sorry) advice.

At any rate it sounds as if you do owe some tax and unfortunately, the longer you leave it before settling your bill, the more penalties you will incur.  I think a French accountant may be a good idea, but obviously you can't really afford that at the mo', by the sound of things.  However, unless you get some proper advice, or can nip back to France and discuss this face to face with the taxman here, it may be your best option.  If your income came from a public sector pension, however, your income tax would be payable in the UK, but for any other income, it's due in France.

Edit : Sorry, I missed Maricopa's post.  There are the fonciere and habitation taxes also of course, sorry. 

[quote user="madeleine08"]

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  We did live in France for 1 1/2 years when we bought our property  We paid the tax for the first year but were told the bills just get sent out to you when it's time for renewal.  I must say we didn't even think about it and it wasn't until we moved back and got a letter saying we owed X much that we realised we never had a bill.  This is the only thing I can think of it being as like I say, we're talking to the bank about money owed on the house and we can't do anything about that until it gets sold.

Many thanks

[/quote]

I think you have to fill in a tax form yourself every year, not just wait for a bill to arrive. Maybe this is where things went wrong.

Hi,

You should be aware that under a recent agreement the UK tax authorities will collect taxes due to the french (and vice versa). It sounds as if they are in the process of doing this. If you don't think you owe anything in France you need to contact your french tax office (or get someone you know in France ,who speaks french, to do so on your behalf)

If you think you do owe , then get details from HMRC,check that they appear correct, and pay up as soon as possible to avoid penalties. 

Cheuvanism at a guess [:'(]

Very sorry to hear about your difficulties and I'm afraid I have nothing to offer by way of advice or comfort unless you can extract a crumb of solace in realising that in the current climate you are probably not alone [:(]

Bon chance

Having worked for the Revenue for many years before moving to France, I can inform you that if the caller was enquiring about the tax situation of the OP's husband, then they would not speak with the OP unless they had the written permission of the husband. It is not chauvinist, just protection of individuals' rights. It would have been the same had the call been for the OP and she had not been available. They would not have been allowed to discuss it with her husband.

Quite, and if the French property were in joint names the debt would likely be also however it may that the French have (chauvinistically perhaps [;-)]) simply addressed the claim to Mr madeleineo8 as this would explain the refusal to discuss it with Mrs.

This is France we are talking about, where except for a few special cases couples are taxed jointly not individually. Not to mention the fact that a wife is still widely regarded as a possession of the husband rather than a person in her own right (and I say that knowing that my wife has posted above in her own right and is very much an individual, being a councillor in France...) [:)]

Hello again,

Thank you for all your replies.  The lady came today and served papers for us to appear in court for defaulting on our personal loan repayments.  We had been in contact with the bank about this and were trying to resolve some sort of repayment plan but it's obviously gone that stage further.

Does anyone have any experience of this?  We are going to get a solicitor as it says if we don't appear then we will have a judgement served against us.  I don't know how this happens in France, do they pass it over to the UK or....?

This is very unexpected as we had been in communication with the bank about this and were trying to sort out some arrangement.

Archived