Complete France Forum

what do you say to your garagiste when you want to tell him.......

mint

that the engine is "missing" now and again?

Pending the arrival of our new car, both the present ones are worryingly a bit like Trump's "well-tuned engine"!

Must keep driving them until the new one gets here on 1st March.

So, please, help! 

Ratés, défaut d'allumage although the latter is technically more accurately expressed as défauts de la combustion.

Throw in cliquetis and pré allumage and they will get the gist because you dont actually know how or why it is "missing" unless the engine has been removed [:P]

Ahah nomoss, not always - my garagiste finally came out this afternoon and got my car started after that Mint person jinxed it (no I know you didn't really Mint), condensation in the petrol, he said...!! and I got my money out and he said Non non non, boff, allez. So I allez'd.

It did take him 24 hours to get round to dépanning me at his convenience, but still, I was surprised.

Oh, ET, I am so pleased that you got your car fixed!  Had been thinking that maybe you should avoid me on the forum in future!

Your phrase served its purpose.  As soon as I said le moteur ne tourne pas rond on the phone, he understood immediately.  So, I took it in to him yesterday and left the car there.

This afternoon, I had a phone call from his mother (yes, it's that kind of garage[:D]) who said my son would like you to call at the garage.

What was wrong was that there had been an escape of oil under the jante and some of it had spilled into the engine.  Also the spark plugs needed changing.  I asked him about all the costs:  how much for the bougies, how much for the jante, how much for the produit to clean the engine, how much for the main-d'œuvre and it appeared that it was only going to be a small job so I told him to go ahead.

For those interested, I will have for sale a fully functioning Hyundai automatic at un petit prix and a Mazda monospace automatic at a slightly higher price.  Sorry if this sounds like a try-on, but I did genuinely come on to thank ET.

I am only selling the other 2 cars because 3 cars seem a bit OTT for 2 oldies and a dog and, also, I am thinking of buying a new car for OH as otherwise I shall feel guilty swanning around in my new car[:$]

Erns, I shall try to say what I think was meant.  It was the sort of rectangular "cover" over the engine and I think the seal might have perished.

It'd been leaking oil and he said the cover needed replacing.

Does that make sense?[:-))]

jointe - jante - do you live in the sing song south, Mint?

Glad my phrase worked! - it's probably not very technical, but it does seem to get the message across. And it's a nice little expression because you can also say things like "Ma tête ne tourne pas rond ce matin", I suppose the equivalent could be "my brain's not firing on all four cylinders this morning".

Edit - doh, no you live in Périgord, it says so on your profile. P'raps your mechanic is from the south...

Thank you, must be jointe and not jante of which amazingly I still have four![:)]

But ET, Périgord IS the south west[:P]  I think it's my ignorance of car parts as much as his accent or indeed my hearing which one could blame.

Mind you, the people who grew up here, speaking Occitan as children do have the strangest way of saying some words.

Edit:  forgot to say, ET, that when I am at my most scatter-brained (and it doesn't necessarily have to be the mornings!), I say je suis à coté de mes pompes

[quote user="Chancer"]Joint de couvre coulasse?[/quote]

Indeed, he might have said that, Chancer but I think that possibly he shortened it to joint for pity of my incomprehension.

Anyway, the other car also seems to be suffering from joint problems (sign of age as in humans) so when I go to collect the car, I will tell him that this other bagnole also has a problem with its joint de couvre coulasse and, if he understands, I will know which phrase to use next time[:)]

Archived