Complete France Forum

There is hunting and hunting!!!

Ron Avery

The man had 15 guns - the rural french seem to have a very casual attitude to gun ownership. A farm near us was uninhabited for a while, though the owner left his possessions inside including a hunting gun propped against the wall. The cottage was left unlocked and the windows open so we peeped in and saw it. There doesn't seem to be any of the checking for security that you have in the UK. Pat.

Quite right to, how dare they interupt his afternoon nap . I must admit that when I lived in Docklands on those hot summer nights (you know the one that comes twice a year) and the old police helo came over at 3:00am in the moring with a 1GW lamp shining down  hovering there for 30 minutes I wish I had a rifle or ground to air missle would have been  better.

Hello

Why shouldn't someone have fifteen guns or for that matter fifty three guns. Unless they are first or fourth category then the person has the right to hang them on the wall, lean them against the wall or anywhere else he feels like. It is nice to see a little bit of tolerance towards gun owners as there is in France. You know guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Bye

Albert

Could'nt agree more troll. Drivers, fags, booze, dirty hospitals all kill more people than privately owned guns ever did. If one does'nt like the french attitude to guns and thier use one could allways return to the UK where responsible ownership is outlawed but criminal gangs and 14 year old boys swan around shooting whoever they please with little more than a cautionary warning from the police.

• 4 weeks later...
If you ('you' as in French culture explorers, that is) have the chance, you must watch the Les Inconnus act on 'la chasse' (hunting), would be found on one of Les Inconnus DVD's, it was a spoof from a popular Canal Plus prog called '24 heures' (that no longer exist I think) that used to show us in detail 24 hrs in the life of somebody in a given profession/corporation/sport/hobby/group, etc. About 15 yrs ago or so, Les Inconnus (a famous comedy trio) produced a series of spoofs on that programme and the one I'm referring to ('24 hrs in the life of a group of hunters') was arguably the funniest one, alongside the one on 'La police' which was frankly hilarious (not to forget the one on 'teachers', a génialissime piss-take of the union-worshipping, beleaguered, shirking French teacher). It does require near-native command of French (well, at certain times more than others), also a few cultural pointers needed (that yr French friends might want to provide) but Les Inconnus' acts are in part fairly visual and with the DVD subtitles it should be OK for someone with a good to v. good command of French. Well worth borrowing from friends or from yr local Médiathèque, or buying from Amazon, it'll give you a valuable insight into French culture and humour, not high brow or tortuous, just plain 'culture populaire', semi-slapstick and subtle at the same time. I'm not quite sure what Les Inconnus are up to now but they were very popular in the 80's and 90's, did a few successful comedies and 2 or 3 songs caricaturing (gently) social stereotypes, such as Parisian bourgeois or inner-city kids.  

Archived